Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment EFL 1.20 Released

Phoronix: Enlightenment EFL 1.20 Released

EFL 1.20 is now available as the newest version of the Enlightenment Foundation Libraries...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Enlightenment seems good, but when I tried it about a year ago it blocked alt-tab in fullscreen games, and that was a deal breaker. I switched to LXQt+Openbox instead.

Comment

Enlightenment still going strong after all these years. Rasterman is a one army capable of demolishing huge cities single-handedly! Kudos, very few brave souls venture in the land of untamed C, and harness it and bend it to their will. Rasterman, you and that systemd fellow Lennart Poettering, are my heroes and you deserve nothing but utmost respect, not the scorn that the less enlightened sometimes spew in your direction. Must go spin up my Enlightenment DE now.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
        Enlightenment seems good, but when I tried it about a year ago it blocked alt-tab in fullscreen games, and that was a deal breaker. I switched to LXQt+Openbox instead.
        alt-tab works for me with fullscreen windows. If the game grabs the keyboard and stops the WM from getting alt-tab... there isn't much the wm can do... the app grabbing has to give up it's grab first for the WM to get events properly.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
          "Wayland improvements" means nothing. This is 2017 and there is no excuse. This is just as bad as kde.

Seriously, you got pwnd by Canonical.
          Canonical did nothing... they just directly used the work already done by GNOME. They didn't port Mir or Unity to Wayland. We've developed from scratch with fewer people. Think what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by raster View Post

alt-tab works for me with fullscreen windows. If the game grabs the keyboard and stops the WM from getting alt-tab... there isn't much the wm can do... the app grabbing has to give up it's grab first for the WM to get events properly.
            I'm a bit confused here ... isn't the WM the one that gets all the input and forwards it to windows ?

Comment

Originally posted by Razmattaz View Post
              Enlightenment still going strong after all these years. Rasterman is a one army capable of demolishing huge cities single-handedly! Kudos, very few brave souls venture in the land of untamed C, and harness it and bend it to their will. Rasterman, you and that systemd fellow Lennart Poettering, are my heroes and you deserve nothing but utmost respect, not the scorn that the less enlightened sometimes spew in your direction. Must go spin up my Enlightenment DE now.
              It's certainly not just me... I may have gotten the ball rolling and carried a lot of it's weight for years... but many others work on it too. Many. See the git commit log history and git blame info. So give those guys kudos too.

But indeed taming C and bending it to your will with great complexity takes dedication to your craft. I like the challenge. Thanks for the positive words! Sometimes the internet has rays of sunshine among the stagnant vapors of sewerage that cloud the skies...

Comment

Originally posted by ileonte View Post

I'm a bit confused here ... isn't the WM the one that gets all the input and forwards it to windows ?
                Not in X11. No. the WM gets to say "send keyboard input here by default". In fact any X11 client app can do that. Any X11 client can also say "if someone presses alt and tab, then send that to me" which is how keybindings work. First client in wins. Then there are whole grabs where any client can go "the keyboard is mine now. No one else gets anything" and when this is done the regular input target doesn't get anything and neither does any client that grabbed specific key combos like alt+tab. Games have a habit of grabbing the keyboard entirely. Most do.
                Last edited by raster; 05 August 2017, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by raster View Post

Not in X11. No. the WM gets to say "send keyboard input here by default". In fact any X11 client app can do that. Any X11 client can also say "if someone presses alt and tab, then send that to me" which is how keybindings work. First client in wins. Then there are whole grabs where any client can go "the keyboard is mine now. No one else gets anything" and when this is done the regular input target doesn't get anything and neither does any client that grabbed specific key combos like alt+tab. Games have a habit of grabbing the keyboard entirely. Most do.
                  Is this also true for compositing WMs on X11 ?

Comment

Originally posted by ileonte View Post

Is this also true for compositing WMs on X11 ?
                    all WMs. it has nothing to do with compositing. all X11 clients, WM or not.,

Comment

Working...
                    X