Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Confirms Linux Performance Marginality Problem Affecting Some, Doesn't Affect Epyc / TR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Confirms Linux Performance Marginality Problem Affecting Some, Doesn't Affect Epyc / TR

Phoronix: AMD Confirms Linux Performance Marginality Problem Affecting Some, Doesn't Affect Epyc / TR

This morning I was on a call with AMD and they are now able to confirm they have reproduced the Ryzen "segmentation fault issue" and are working with affected customers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could you explain more about what is meant by "performance marginality?" It seems open to several different meanings and I'm not sure what you or AMD means by it.

Comment

Looks like all the people claiming there was no bug might want to listen to AMD.

Comment

Well done Michael. Your article made AMD open up on the issue and got you some chips for future testing. Nice

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
          Could you explain more about what is meant by "performance marginality?" It seems open to several different meanings and I'm not sure what you or AMD means by it.
          It was a marketing person that communicated it, and would keep using the phrase "performance marginality", but wasn't 100% clear of the root cause/explanation of the issue (perhaps due to aforementioned marketing and not an engineer).
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

So does that mean AMD is sending those products out to you? Cool. Maybe from now on they'll keep you on the list of folks receiving samples.

Comment

"Linux Performance Marginality Problem" may be the most stupid and wrongest description I've ever read - even google translator doesn't help me here. I don't see any problems regarding performance but functionality. *sigh*

Whatever, I was hoping for a microcode fix, but if it's the customer mail support to bother (again), then be it so. At least, they're playing around with compilations...

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                So does that mean AMD is sending those products out to you? Cool. Maybe from now on they'll keep you on the list of folks receiving samples.
                Yes they have now said I will be receiving Threadripper and Epyc samples (contrary to previous communications saying not) and also looks like some more Ryzen models too.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

So they will sent you Epyc and Threadripper hardware, nice. Lets hope they send a full kit, so you do not need to buy a mobo and memory.

Comment

Originally posted by RyzenNewbie View Post
                    "Linux Performance Marginality Problem" may be the most stupid and wrongest description I've ever read - even google translator doesn't help me here. I don't see any problems regarding performance but functionality. *sigh*
                    I think the intent was "performance within the chip" (internal signals) not "performance on a benchmark".
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X