No announcement yet.

VK_AMD_shader_ballot Support For RADV, Lets DOOM Use AMD-Optimized Code Path

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VK_AMD_shader_ballot Support For RADV, Lets DOOM Use AMD-Optimized Code Path

Phoronix: VK_AMD_shader_ballot Support For RADV, Lets DOOM Use AMD-Optimized Code Path

Connor Abbott who has been working for Valve over the summer on the RADV Vulkan driver sent out one of his last patch series before going back to school: VK_AMD_shader_ballot for RADV. This extension paired with other work allows DOOM on Wine to run through an AMD-optimized Vulkan code path...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder who hires this guy first when he's done with hes studies.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he already got a few offers.

Comment

I'm sure it's a whole lot more complicated than I'm imagining, but why does LLVM always seem like the development repository is always a few years ahead of release? The problem I see with LLVM development is that when code gets reeased in the development branch, it doesn't make it to a stable branch for a long time, It seems like too long.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        I'm sure it's a whole lot more complicated than I'm imagining, but why does LLVM always seem like the development repository is always a few years ahead of release? The problem I see with LLVM development is that when code gets reeased in the development branch, it doesn't make it to a stable branch for a long time, It seems like too long.
        LLVM releases happen every 6 months, SVN is branched a few weeks ahead of releases, so particular in the period now is when it seems like a long time needing to wait ~6+ months.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

LLVM releases happen every 6 months, SVN is branched a few weeks ahead of releases, so particular in the period now is when it seems like a long time needing to wait ~6+ months.
          Well, I guess that's not so bad. I don't know why but is seems longer than that. I feel like I've been waiting on 5.0 for well over a year, but that might just be my impatience making time feel drawn out.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Well, I guess that's not so bad. I don't know why but is seems longer than that. I feel like I've been waiting on 5.0 for well over a year, but that might just be my impatience making time feel drawn out.
            Distribution release cycles add considerable on top of it. On debian stable you'd be on 3.9 for 2 more years

Comment

Tom was managing a series of point releases between the majors to better align with things like Mesa release cycles - those seemed useful, not sure if they are still happening.
              Test signature

Comment

Can anyone actually play Doom on Wine without graphical errors? This is what it looks like on RADV and this is AMD's Vulkan driver - textures are broken in pretty much the same way, regardless of settings. Kernel 4.12, Arch, wine-staging 2.13.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                  I wonder who hires this guy first when he's done with hes studies.
                  I wouldn't be surprised if he already got a few offers.
                  safe bet Valve would like to have him fulltime.

Whether he wants that or wishes to pursue other opportunities we will have to see.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
                    Can anyone actually play Doom on Wine without graphical errors? This is what it looks like on RADV and this is AMD's Vulkan driver - textures are broken in pretty much the same way, regardless of settings. Kernel 4.12, Arch, wine-staging 2.13.
                    I had the same issues on windows running an older version of the nvidia driver (it had previously worked until an update of doom)

Comment

Working...
                    X