Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16-Way NVIDIA GeForce vs. AMD Radeon Comparison - August 2017

Phoronix: 16-Way NVIDIA GeForce vs. AMD Radeon Comparison - August 2017

Last week were the benchmark results showing how the open-source Radeon Linux driver is becoming increasingly competitive with NVIDIA's driver and is very competitive OpenGL-wise with the Radeon Software Windows driver. Here are some more NVIDIA and Radeon benchmarks today under Linux with each vendor's latest drivers using sixteen different graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

absolutely impressive results from AMD.
    Hope their hardware follows.

I am more and more tempted to not buy Nvidia cause of their linux performance

Comment

Now if you want to see AMD totally annihilate nVidia then run some widget and x11 and desktop benchmarks, preferably on a multimonitor set up... That'a worst case scenario for nVidia even though it's highly common on linux. As of right now I consider nVidia to have the worst DDX.

Comment

Are the Unigine tests always run in Windowed mode ? I seem to remember some variation in results between benchmarks, wondering if that is due to windowed vs fullscreen ?
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Are the Unigine tests always run in Windowed mode ? I seem to remember some variation in results between benchmarks, wondering if that is due to windowed vs fullscreen ?
          In the past have generally run them fullscreen, but recently with AMDGPU+RadeonSI have noticed a rare-to-semi-common occurrence where when exiting Unigine Heaven/Valley, the driver has issues -- basically it doesn't re mode-set to the display's expected resolution (usually using 4K displays but using 1080p for Unigine tests when demanding) and also 3D seems to break at the same time until rebooting. Running in windowed mode just for the Unigine tests has been the easy workaround to avoid that potential problem.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by oleyska View Post
            absolutely impressive results from AMD.
            Hope their hardware follows.

I am more and more tempted to not buy Nvidia cause of their linux performance
            yeah, this is so funny As a linux user I really see no reason even to look into direction of Nvidia. Well may be because of HDMI Audio, but at least for me, using old good jack ist not a problem anyway, especially if everything else just works out of the box.

Comment

I do Linux since 1998 and I avoid anything closed and binary blobbed with a passion. In the early days it was easy to go with Matrox, later Ati, but no NVidia for me wherever I can avoid it. Unfortunately I have some Mac's with this NVidia problem, but my new purchases will be all be without that crap.

Comment

I have been waiting for AMD's new in-house OSS drivers to support my GCN 1.0 HD 7970 card.

But it now looks as if RadeonSI* might be a better bet? Who would've thought...

As soon as I can get my hands on a full-fat Vega for my Windows box (gaming and 3D/CAD software), my HD 7970 will be migrated to my Linux dev box.

*: Refer to this post for what I *really* meant. Oops.
                Last edited by ermo; 08 August 2017, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scorp View Post

yeah, this is so funny As a linux user I really see no reason even to look into direction of Nvidia. Well may be because of HDMI Audio, but at least for me, using old good jack ist not a problem anyway, especially if everything else just works out of the box.
                  I recently diagnosed a friends system and Graphics card was tested in my computer, booted up, OSS drivers and everything worked flawlessly right out of the box (used 4.10 kernel)
                  I was mighty impressed and then I decided next graphics card will be AMD.

No playing around with workaround, no driver install, just boot and play!

Maybe the HW isn't up to par to the all mighty Nvidia gaming performance lately, but gaming is my computers 2nd priority, not 1st and unfortunately that is how I looked at a graphics card last time.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
                    I have been waiting for AMD's new in-house OSS drivers to support my GCN 1.0 HD 7970 card.

But it now looks as if RadeonSI might be a better bet? Who would've thought...
                    radeonsi is AMD's OSS driver... We do most of the development work on it.

Comment

Working...
                    X