Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Brooklyn Chat Bridge Declared Production-Ready

Phoronix: KDE Brooklyn Chat Bridge Declared Production-Ready

The GSoC student developer working on "Brooklyn", the protocol-independent chat bridge for KDE systems and written in Java, has declared his project a success. In ending out the GSoC summer work, he has released Brooklyn v0.2 and has deemed it ready for production use...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

why would anyone code something in the opensource world in Java? especially in this days and age? not nice to integrate with anything, total alien in the C, C++, Rust or whatever world, … :-/

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
      why would anyone code something in the opensource world in Java? especially in this days and age? not nice to integrate with anything, total alien in the C, C++, Rust or whatever world, … :-/
      What is the problem with Java??, as long use the open one it's fine. I think right now it's better Java than Electron apps, that is a total allien on desktop's world.

Comment

It isn't 0.2 if it's production ready...

Comment

Originally posted by raonlinux View Post

What is the problem with Java??, as long use the open one it's fine. I think right now it's better Java than Electron apps, that is a total allien on desktop's world.
          No problem with Java but once it is related to KDE I dont see why to choose Java.

Comment

He used Java probably because it must be what he is the most proficient at. I don't think it was to do a ideological statement...

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              He used Java probably because it must be what he is the most proficient at. I don't think it was to do a ideological statement...
              Yeah, people just like to complain. If they want to write something using another tool, they're free to do so... but of course, they won't.

Comment

I wonder what the value proposition over Telepathy is.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                  It isn't 0.2 if it's production ready...
                  versioning nazi detected.

Really, it's just a number. There is no rule that states that version 1.0 means the software is stable.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                    I wonder what the value proposition over Telepathy is.
                    Well, I haven't tried Telepathy for years, and just searched on how to install and configure it and it is turning into a treasure hunt. So, it isn't well documented for one - and from looking at what is available on it it seems to be a disjointed mess that hasn't been kept up-to-date in a timely manner. You're better off just installing the native Telegram client. It's extremely simple to install, use and is constantly updated and improved.
                    Last edited by gbcox; 08 August 2017, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X