Ethereum Ethminer Performance With Radeon & GeForce OpenCL - August 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethereum Ethminer Performance With Radeon & GeForce OpenCL - August 2017

Phoronix: Ethereum Ethminer Performance With Radeon & GeForce OpenCL - August 2017

Here are my latest Ethereum Ethminer benchmarks for those interested in mining this cryptocurrency using OpenCL on AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I find this a little confusing - I thought AMD cards were significantly better than Nvidia for Ethereum, but aside from the 290, none of the AMD cards really stand out as being a whole lot better than their Nvidia counterparts. Not that AMD is performing poorly in these tests, but not good enough to warrant being sold out.
    Perhaps the closed-source drivers or the Windows drivers are what miners are using? Maybe there's a regression with ROCm?

Also, are the H/s per dollar based on current GPU values or their original MSRP?

EDIT:
    Kind of makes me feel I should've attempted selling my 290. I probably could've got back what I paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I find this a little confusing - I thought AMD cards were significantly better than Nvidia for Ethereum, but aside from the 290, none of the AMD cards really stand out as being a whole lot better than their Nvidia counterparts. Not that AMD is performing poorly in these tests, but not good enough to warrant being sold out.
      Perhaps the closed-source drivers or the Windows drivers are what miners are using? Maybe there's a regression with ROCm?

Also, are the H/s per dollar based on current GPU values or their original MSRP?
      In article: "A Phoronix Test Suite module also provided the current performance-per-dollar for Ethereum GPU mining, but this is a bit of a mess considering the lack of availability currently for most Radeon Polaris graphics cards... Prices for both NVIDIA and AMD were based on selections at Amazon."
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I find this a little confusing - I thought AMD cards were significantly better than Nvidia for Ethereum
        In these older test, Michael used the AMDGPU-Pro's OpenCL instead of ROCm, where AMD is in better shape against Nvidia:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Also, AMD said that they are looking into performance issues with ROCm and some specific workloads

Comment

I assume Michael ran cards with their out-of-the-box clocks and standard BIOS? That's the only way these numbers make any kind of sense even when you factor in for the slower AMDGPU-PRO OpenCL. From what I've read actual miners tend go trough with plenty of tweaks including things like overclocking and tweaking the timings of the RAM along with, almost paradoxically, lowering the voltage and GPU clocks for better power efficiency as Eth mining is generally memory bound.
          Last edited by L_A_G; 09 August 2017, 09:39 AM.

Comment

1070 is faster than 1080 and consuming more power?

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
              1070 is faster than 1080 and consuming more power?
              It's due to the memory configuration or something like that why for some crypto mining the GTX 1070 does better.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                I assume Michael ran cards with their out-of-the-box clocks and standard BIOS?
                Of course.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

I find this a little confusing - I thought AMD cards were significantly better than Nvidia for Ethereum, but aside from the 290, none of the AMD cards really stand out as being a whole lot better than their Nvidia counterparts.
                  ROCm is not optimized for mining yet
                  https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute...ment-312926987

UPD: and the latest comment on this issue:
                  "I did not realize that --cl-... flags matter so much till now. When setting --cl-local-work 256 and --cl-global-work 8192 I did get around 21 Mh/s, which is same as AMDGPU-pro."
                  Last edited by puleglot; 09 August 2017, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Interesting!! thanks for the article Michael. It's always good to have hard numbers, I was intrigued on RoCm, if it could beat standard amdgpu pro. I want to squeeze every inch of performance of my Ryzen box. So we can conclude rocm is not yet mining ready. It 's something to keep an eye for miners with multi-core ryzen cpu prices going down, if RocM can beat opencl in the upcoming months, it would be a good alternative, many miners will switch to ryzen IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                    X