Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VKNEO Will Be Released Soon: Doom 3 BFG Over Vulkan

Phoronix: VKNEO Will Be Released Soon: Doom 3 BFG Over Vulkan

An id Software programmer is expected to soon release his port of Doom 3 BFG to the Vulkan renderer rather than OpenGL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

awesome!! i think we pretty much have doom 1,2 and 3 on linux due to people porting them over.now to get doom 2016 ported which runs great in wine anyway but still.

Comment

I would love to see them release id Tech 5, the engine that powers Rage. I hope they open source it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I would love to see them release id Tech 5, the engine that powers Rage. I hope they open source it soon.
        Have they indicated anywhere they would open up idTech5? I haven't seen such communication.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

eventually i am sure it will be open sourced just like the other 4 were.i mean this engine came out 6 years ago so i do hope it gets open sourced.i got this from an article.

An interview with John Carmack, the lead graphics engine developer at id (at the time), indicated that like its predecessors, id Tech 5 will eventually be released as open source. The move to open source will likely come many years after id Tech 5's release as a proprietary engine. At QuakeCon 2007, Carmack told LinuxGames that he would integrate as little proprietary software as possible into id Tech 5, as "eventually id Tech 5 is going to be open source also. This is still the law of the land at id, that the policy is that we’re not going to integrate stuff that’s going to make it impossible for us to do an eventual open source release."[6]

Comment

I would think its unlikely seeing how Bethesda has announced that idTech6 would be in house only.

Comment

Bethesda is not really known for being supportive of Linux. I'd be surprised if they put any effort into open sourcing id Tech.

Comment

I think the reason the previous engines were open-sourced was due to the involvement of one of the guys at Id who was an OSS advocate. He's no longer there, and Id is now owned by a soulless corporation. It isn't going to get open-sourced, which is a shame because look at what has happened with previous engines which have been. You get stuff like this project. Even with this guy being an Id employee, I doubt this will have happened had the code still been closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Have they indicated anywhere they would open up idTech5? I haven't seen such communication.
                  No, but id Software has a long history of supporting open source. They open sourced id Tech 2, 3, 4, and other older engines.
                  But that was when John Carmack was with id Software and before they got bought up by Bethesda, so now times changes and it might never become open source.

Comment

id Tech 5 will likely never be open sourced but Zenimax did open source Arx Fatalis, so there is still hope.

Comment

Working...
                    X