Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mono Begins Using WebAssembly With A Look Towards C#/F# The Web

Phoronix: Mono Begins Using WebAssembly With A Look Towards C#/F# The Web

Miguel de Icaza announced today that the Mono Project has been exploring ways to bring Mono to the web using WebAssembly...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe they should do this for .NET Core instead.
    I use less and less .NET Framework, only for maintaining legacy code bases. For new stuff, I use .NET Core which is much nicer.

Comment

I had thought that WebAssembly has no support for languages with GCs though, thus reserving WebAssembly exclusively to C/C++/Rust?

Comment

You can turn off GC in most GC languages.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
          I had thought that WebAssembly has no support for languages with GCs though, thus reserving WebAssembly exclusively to C/C++/Rust?
          Java/C#/python/etc were written in C/C++... many languages that have garbage collection were created using C/C++. It just means they need to port the GC into webassembly.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
            It does, but you need to BYOGC, Bring Your Own Garbage Collector.

There is ongoing work in figuring out how to expose the already very good GCs so that they are usable for a wide range of languages, but that work is not done yet.

Comment

Working...
            X