Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Ubuntu Kernel Built With The Latest AMDGPU DC Support

Phoronix: An Ubuntu Kernel Built With The Latest AMDGPU DC Support

For those running Ubuntu or one of its derivatives that have been wanting to play with AMDGPU's DC "display code" functionality but can't be bothered to build the branched code, here's a fresh kernel build...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this have the usual Ubuntu patches applied too? Or is it simply the vanilla kernel tree (from amd-staging-4.12) compiled into a .deb file?

Do you write your own debian packaging scripts or does the amd-staging-4.12 kernel come with debian packaging scripts?

Comment

Originally posted by flubba86 View Post
      Does this have the usual Ubuntu patches applied too? Or is it simply the vanilla kernel tree (from amd-staging-4.12) compiled into a .deb file?

Do you write your own debian packaging scripts or does the amd-staging-4.12 kernel come with debian packaging scripts?
      Vanilla kernel. Using the mainline build scripts.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Code:
        $ uname -a
        Linux ubuntu 4.12.0-vegaphx #1 SMP Wed Aug 9 11:03:21 EDT 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linu
        $ DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --prop|grep freesync
            freesync_capable: 0 
            freesync: 0 
            freesync_capable: 1 
            freesync: 1 
        This is awesome. Thanks Michael!

Comment

Code:
          Deleting module version: 1.0.0
          completely from the DKMS tree.
          ------------------------------
          Done.
          Loading new razer_chroma_driver-1.0.0 DKMS files...
          Module build for kernel 4.12.0-vegaphx was skipped since the
          kernel headers for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
          Michael, is it possible to get the kernel headers as well?

Comment

Does anyone build it for Debian? I really wish Debian would just provide it as an extra package, until it's upstreamed.

Comment

... I kinda hope this means that Michael already has a Vega and needed a new kernel to get launch day perf tests done

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                Does anyone build it for Debian? I really wish Debian would just provide it as an extra package, until it's upstreamed.
                And what is stopping you from building the kernel yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  And what is stopping you from building the kernel yourself?
                  I have other stuff I already build periodically. Adding kernel to that would take more time.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    I have other stuff I already build periodically. Adding kernel to that would take more time.
                    I'm not sure if you'll find it helpful, but just in case you will, you should check out the Debian package called "ccache". If you frequently compile various versions of the Linux kernel (or other programs written in C or C++), it should make each compilation, except for the first one, very fast (or at least significantly faster) (but I didn't check to confirm).

Comment

Working...
                    X