SUSE+NVIDIA Makes The Graphics Binary Driver Easier To Deploy On Tumbleweed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUSE+NVIDIA Makes The Graphics Binary Driver Easier To Deploy On Tumbleweed

Phoronix: SUSE+NVIDIA Makes The Graphics Binary Driver Easier To Deploy On Tumbleweed

Those running openSUSE's Tumbleweed rolling-release Linux distribution now have an easier means of maintaining the NVIDIA binary driver on the system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's about damn time. I was so annoyed by this that I ended up starting to write my own RPM for the nvidia driver (but never finished).

Comment

This is great news!
      I switched from Tumbleweed to Leap 42.3 because of the hassle that my new NV card would have caused, only to discover that my fancy new Ryzen CPU did not get backported support in Leap 42.3. So that was a leap to nowhere, from my perspective. I ended up in Ubuntustan. Maui, to be exact, which is a pretty nice distro, I must say.
      I still might give Tumbleweed another go: the heart wants what it wants. It was by far my favourite linux distro so far, even with the crappy and missing Hungarian translations in KDE5 and YaST, but I was planning to contribute to those anyway.

I guess I'll wait for some reports on this new NV repo, and depending on those, switch back to TW, or not.
      Last edited by OneBitUser; 10 August 2017, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Wow good job! Proper Nvidia support was the only thing that Tumbleweed was lacking against arch... I always liked arch based distros, but I am kinda disappointed by the way packaging is done (no automated testing). I don't have any Nvidia gpu but I didn't want to learn a distro which I wouldn't be able to use if I have any Nvidia hardware in the future. I am downloading Tumbleweed right now to try it again (last time I had some problems with pulseaudio and I gave up, but now I am determined to use it and do proper bug reports for any problems that I find, I will also learn OBS and maybe try to contribute where I can).

Comment

When fedora added GLVND support we got lashed for sucking up to nvidia.

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...pport-on-linux

Comment

openSUSE and nVidia? Platinum sponsors of openSUSE

53863A AMD E Blk RGB.png

The combined forces of you, AMD and openSUSE are helping lead the Linux operating system community in 64-bit innovation.

Consistent with AMD's theme of customer-centric innovation, openSUSE provides developers with a tool to compile, release, and publish their software for the broad user audience. AMD is a proud Platinum Sponsor of openSUSE.

SUSE has consistently been among the first Linux distributions to support advanced features in AMD microprocessors such as AMD Direct Connect Architecture with NUMA memory architecture and HyperTransport technology, AMD Virtualization™ technology (AMD-V™), and AMD PowerNow!™ technology. Gold sponsors of openSUSE

Silver Sponsors of openSUSE

B1-systems-1.jpg

B1 Systems GmbH

Comment

Originally posted by leigh123linux View Post
              When fedora added GLVND support we got lashed for sucking up to nvidia.

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...pport-on-linux
              It's the way of things. Help people => get burnt to the stake. Because.

Comment

Awesome! That's one big barrier(and primary) for me from using openSUSE taken care of

Comment

Minor mistake in the article: openSUSE does *not* use DKMS to rebuild the kernel module. Instead, the driver package has a trigger for kernel packages. This allows better integration with package management.

Comment

Great news ! Now I'm using nouveau guys who are not bad about Tumbleweed but i would be happy to use the owners who are the best. I need 340, but at the moment we are not, hopefully in the future.

Comment

Working...
                    X