Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell 3.26 Beta Drops Autotools Support

Phoronix: GNOME Shell 3.26 Beta Drops Autotools Support

The GNOME Shell 3.25.90 release is available today which serves as its v3.26 beta...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

removing the legacy status icon tray
    Finally! Thank god!

Comment

I recently switched one of my Qt5 projects from CMake to Meson and it was surprisingly easy. Though I couldn't find out how to pass per file definitions (the -D flag).

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        I recently switched one of my Qt5 projects from CMake to Meson and it was surprisingly easy. Though I couldn't find out how to pass per file definitions (the -D flag).
        That might be because Meson is practically a cleaned up CMake, nothing less and unfortunately nothing more. Which is why I don`t get the repeated coverage.
        The next step would be something like https://build2.org/, which is fit for the coming C++ modules (even worked upfront for bringing them to live) and package management.

I don`t see Meson beeing fit for that right now, and it doesn`t seem like it will be a simple change.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          You can't directly do per-file flags but you can split it into two libraries with different flags.

Comment

GNO GNU GNANT GNEAVE GNU!!!!!! GNE GNILL GNOME GNAND GNET GNU!!!! GNU GNAVE GNOST GNOUR GNAY!!!!

Just kidding, I highly welcome this change.

Comment

removing the legacy status icon tray
              Which tray do they mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                Which tray do they mean?
                So, in Gnome shell, you've got the main toolbar along the top... it's not a traditional tray, but it kind of fits the same purpose. But that doesn't work with old apps that rely on the old X11 way of doing things - stuff like Steam or Dropbox - which put a little icon in a second tray, down in the bottom left of the screen.

I assume it's this latter tray they're getting rid of. It's always been ugly - like it's not really a proper part of the UI, just an afterthought for supporting apps that need somewhere to put their icons. I'm not sure what they're doing with it, though - whether they're abolishing it entirely, or if they're moving it into the top bar where it would be more useful. There's a case to be made either way - there are definitely apps that need that functionality, but it's also something that's tied to X11 protocols, not very Wayland-friendly.

Comment

I really don't get why GNOME is popular. I just tried it out again and just seems like a kludge. I did a few google searches and people are saying, oh it's not so bad if you install the GNOME Tweak Tool - which I did and it was of little help. Seems like it is so simplified it's difficult to do anything productive... and to customise it, you have to install a bunch of stuff or start editing files. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hate the toolbar on the top, but to change it you have to install an extension. In Plasma, you just put it wherever you want. KDE isn't perfect of course, nothing is -- but geez...
                  Last edited by gbcox; 10 August 2017, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post
                    I really don't get why GNOME is popular. I just tried it out again and just seems like a kludge. I did a few google searches and people are saying, oh it's not so bad if you install the GNOME Tweak Tool - which I did and it was of little help. Seems like it is so simplified it's difficult to do anything productive... and to customise it, you have to install a bunch of stuff or start editing files. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hate the toolbar on the top, but to change it you have to install an extension. In Plasma, you just put it wherever you want. KDE isn't perfect of course, nothing is -- but geez...

For me Gnome is the most functional, fast and efficient desktop once tailed to my workflow. It seems pure ignance to pick up stock Gnome, declare it sucks and move on without investing the required time to customize it to the user's workflow. Every other desktop shell requires the user spend time learning the hotekeys (i3) or customizing it in some way (KDE, Cinnamon, XFCE, etc...)

If a person really just doesn't like something it's okay -- no reasons or excuses are required -- but when I hear these BS excuses it just comes across as hateful jabbing with a annoying alternator motive -- like X user, or X idology pisses me off so I'm gonna be passive aggressive and just say X sucks. (I'm not confirming that you are among these but if you do fit the stereotype then Jesus why can't people just fucking enjoy some vanilla ice cream instead of bitch and moan about how chocolate is better or some other purely personal preference. News Flash -- different users have different needs and different GUIs suit each of their workflows differently.)
                    Last edited by ElectricPrism; 10 August 2017, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X