Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME GUADEC 2017 Videos Available

Phoronix: GNOME GUADEC 2017 Videos Available

GNOME's annual developer conference, GUADEC, wrapped up earlier this month in Manchester. The videos are now available for those that were unable to attend this Linux desktop event...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
    Already saw one of them. This is clearly the summer conference to attend if you want influence of the standard linux desktop.

Very strong presence by RH, Canonical, Endlessm and a various consultants.
    This is tiring. Stop calling GNOME the standard desktop.

Comment

I agree. This guy (Griffin?) really has a hard-on for Gnome. Probably one of the worst fanbois I've ever seen.

EDIT: Also Michael, when are we going to get an ignore-list feature here?? Because this guy will be the first to go on it.
      Last edited by sa666666; 13 August 2017, 01:45 PM. Reason: Question about ignore list

Comment

Already there. Look up account settings.
        I put you there. Does not work.

Comment

Introduction video and guy from Canonical seems frustrated as hell with all the bugs. Killing the user processes after logout? Sounds very familiar, it become standard process if you are using Gnome if you want something to work right. Also changing runlevels aka targets is somehow always broken in Fedora, not completely sure why.

Comment

Originally posted by srakitnican View Post
            Introduction video and guy from Canonical seems frustrated as hell with all the bugs. Killing the user processes after logout? Sounds very familiar, it become standard process if you are using Gnome if you want something to work right. Also changing runlevels aka targets is somehow always broken in Fedora, not completely sure why.
            Plus huge memory leaks, Mutter performance problems and broken themes. Welcome to hell Canonical. You shouldn't gave up on Unity, but you should focus on Wayland from the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I put you there. Does not work.
              probably have to Pay to be able to use that Feature

Comment

You might want to watch that again. Basically Ubuntu wants to extend the usage of the excellent systemd features. Bugs happen, probably related to bus ownership. 10 minutes was spent explaining the bug and 10 minutes was spent discussing solutions with the whole community.

Ian Lane left the talk more determined to continue extending the usage of systemd session and soon cgroups.
                The issue is that no-one cares about what is in my opinion basic system usage. PROMPT_COMMAND; Even when provided with a solution, the issue is simply ignored, because who uses that, right? I wonder why this variable was set to be overwritten in the first place let it be for no-one caring for at least 3 years to come up with a sane solution. Or maybe it needs to be mentioned at some Live conference to get some attention.

Last edited by srakitnican; 14 August 2017, 05:22 AM.

Comment

This specific example is more of a design decision. I would understand if half of the codebase had to be re-written. This specific example shows the attitude of Gnome developers. That implies by itself the message: f you we do what we want.

Comment

Originally posted by srakitnican View Post
                    This specific example is more of a design decision. I would understand if half of the codebase had to be re-written. This specific example shows the attitude of Gnome developers. That implies by itself the message: f you we do what we want.
                    It's not being ignored. The last reply shows that the patch had various issues. No fixed patch ever was provided. The last comment completely ignores all of the comments above and suggests a change which still has all the issues outlined before.

Comment

Working...
                    X