Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 7.2 Compiler Released

Phoronix: GCC 7.2 Compiler Released

Richard Biener of SUSE has just announced the release of the GNU Compiler Collection 7.2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm still having issues with GCC 7 (this release included) building LLVM & Mesa. When using -march=native (which turns on -mbmi) the 32bit binaries created just segfault

It can be worked around by passing -mno-bmi, there are two bugs open on bugs.fdo and I've opened a GCC bug too. I've not been able to create a small test case for it and the issue goes away when debugging is turned on

If there are any experts around that could take a look I'd be grateful

For the meantime I've switched my system back to GCC 6.4

Comment

It compiled with existing patches for 7.1.0 fine on Gentoo. I also compiled latest kernel with it. Everything seems to be fine.
      Will have to try it on chromium, which used to die with gcc-7.1.0. I think it was something to do with nodejs...

Comment

A unresolved two year bug in a compiler? That looks quite bad. Who's to blame? Sourcera(what's the name? I forgot and going to sleep right now)/Red Hat? :P

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

A unresolved two year bug in a compiler? That looks quite bad. Who's to blame? Sourcera(what's the name? I forgot and going to sleep right now)/Red Hat? :P
          its both a bug in the software and in the compiler. so probably they blame eachother and tell eachother to fix it and nothing happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
            It compiled with existing patches for 7.1.0 fine on Gentoo. I also compiled latest kernel with it. Everything seems to be fine.
            Will have to try it on chromium, which used to die with gcc-7.1.0. I think it was something to do with nodejs...
            I had my whole system compiled with GCC 7.1 (and then GCC 7.2 RC1 & 2) the only issues I saw were in the 32bit stuff needed for wine & Steam which were using LLVM/radeonsi

Comment

I'm using gcc 7 for a while now and use LTO almost all the time and across multiple libraries. I have no issues compiling PHP with -flto (gcc-7.2.1, php-7.1.8, binutils-2.29.51). It runs the PHP testsuite without a single error. It's x86-64 though and not PPC.

Comment

Working...
              X