xfce4-panel 4.13.1 Released, Another Step Towards The Eventual Xfce 4.14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xfce4-panel 4.13.1 Released, Another Step Towards The Eventual Xfce 4.14

Phoronix: xfce4-panel 4.13.1 Released, Another Step Towards The Eventual Xfce 4.14

Xfce 4.14 is still running behind schedule but at least progress is being made on this lightweight, GTK-based desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    and with the tacklist it makes styling by themes easier.

Comment

Am I the only one who has trouble saving the panel settings with 4.13? I will spend 10 minutes configuring my panel, adding launch buttons, setting size, etc, only to lose all of these configurations on log-out. I always end up with a small and empty panel, a few pixels from the top, almost all the way to the left of the screen.

Linux From Scratch, compiling all packages from source. That's why I'm sticking with 4.12 components.

Comment

Originally posted by chepati View Post
        Linux From Scratch, compiling all packages from source. That's why I'm sticking with 4.12 components.
        Linux From Scratch is something for people knowing what they do...

If you knew it then you knew, that xfce4-panel 4.13.x made a transition towards gdbus and thus you are required to install xfconf 4.13.2 (note the .2 at the end).

Please re-compile xfconf 4.13.2 and then re-compile xfce4-panel 4.13.1 and your issues should be gone.

I also go a step further... If you compile xfwm4 4.13.1 (or newer) then make sure you have the xpresenter library installed as well as the correct xpresenter-proto 1.1 (not 1.0) to enable xpresenter layer... otherwise you may end up in a flickering xfwm4 setup.

Comment

@Candy, thanks for the tips. I'm having exactly these 2 issues (panel settings not being saved and xfwm4 flickering). However, I couldn't find xpresenter to download. Is this the official name?

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post

If you knew it then you knew, that xfce4-panel 4.13.x made a transition towards gdbus and thus you are required to install xfconf 4.13.2 (note the .2 at the end).

Please re-compile xfconf 4.13.2 and then re-compile xfce4-panel 4.13.1 and your issues should be gone.

I also go a step further... If you compile xfwm4 4.13.1 (or newer) then make sure you have the xpresenter library installed as well as the correct xpresenter-proto 1.1 (not 1.0) to enable xpresenter layer... otherwise you may end up in a flickering xfwm4 setup.

After 22 years of using Linux as my primary OS (both at home and at work) and LFS since 2000, I like to believe I'm an adequate user who knows what he's doing :-)

My build system keeps all the packages I build up to the very latest versions at all times, so yes, libxfce4ui, xfconf, exo, and all the other 4.13.x xfce packages are at their absolute latest versions. Ditto regarding the xorg libs/protocols packages...

Comment

After 22 years of using Linux as my primary OS (both at home and at work) and LFS since 2000, I like to believe I'm an adequate user who knows what he's doing :-)
              You might know what you do but you can't keep track of interoperability issues within all the packages. Running ./configure --prefix=/usr && make && make install or the trickier process with bootstrapping a basic running system with gcc, glibc and linux kernel doesn't mean "knowing". It just means aping the instructions presented by others by repeating the steps described in the LFS manual.

My build system keeps all the packages I build up to the very latest versions at all times, so yes, libxfce4ui, xfconf, exo, and all the other 4.13.x xfce packages are at their absolute latest versions. Ditto regarding the xorg libs/protocols packages...
              If this was the case, then you wouldn't be describing the issues you have. Because the issue you described is exactly the behaviour or xfce4-panel 4.13.0 NOT YET being gdbus ready. xfce4-panel 4.13.1 is. So xfconf 4.13.0 WAS NOT compatible with xfce4-panel 4.13.0 even they match versioning. xfce4-panel 4.13.0 required xfconf 4.12.x to operate because xfce4-panel 4.13.0 was still based on dbus.

For the other question:
              Install libXpresenter and xpresenter-proto

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                You might know what you do but you can't keep track of interoperability issues within all the packages. Running ./configure --prefix=/usr && make && make install or the trickier process with bootstrapping a basic running system with gcc, glibc and linux kernel doesn't mean "knowing". It just means aping the instructions presented by others by repeating the steps described in the LFS manual.

If this was the case, then you wouldn't be describing the issues you have. Because the issue you described is exactly the behaviour or xfce4-panel 4.13.0 NOT YET being gdbus ready. xfce4-panel 4.13.1 is. So xfconf 4.13.0 WAS NOT compatible with xfce4-panel 4.13.0 even they match versioning. xfce4-panel 4.13.0 required xfconf 4.12.x to operate because xfce4-panel 4.13.0 was still based on dbus.

For the other question:
                Install libXpresenter and xpresenter-proto

https://www.x.org/archive/individual/proto/

Thank you for helping me fix the issue, even though I do not appreciate your tone Even after reading all the READMEs and ChangeLogs I did not see that xfce4-panel 4.13.0 required xfconf 4.12.x (and I was not subscribed to mailing lists where this may have been announced) and my mistake was assuming that matching minor versions implied compatibility.

I hope in the future you'll achieve the same result (helping other people) without unnecessary words or attitude.

Comment

I hope in the future you'll achieve the same result (helping other people) without unnecessary words or attitude.
                  You are of course right! But then! It wasn't me coming here telling everyone that I was using LFS for 17 years now. Which implies "I know all". That's why I decided to switch in asshole mode and replied the way I did. You clearly don't know everything. It's no shame to not knowing everything. Even I got trapped with the same assumptions towards xfconf and xfce4-panel and ran into the same issues as you did. It was someone from the devel team pointing me to the devel branch that got the gdbus changes already applied after I filled a few bugreports. But I didn't came up saying: "Yo I've been using LFS for 17 years and know what I was doing"... I clearly don't know anything... Linux and everything else if moving faster than I can keep track the changes...

Comment

Sorry Candy. Your initial 'help' included:

Completely unnecessary, implying both that chepati doesn't and you do (know what you are doing). After that chepati just defended himself and you went on to berate him for the exact thing you did in the first place. Ever heard of hypocrisy (and arrogance)?

Comment

Working...
                    X