Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon RX Vega On Linux: High-Performance GPUs & Open-Source No Longer An Oxymoron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon RX Vega On Linux: High-Performance GPUs & Open-Source No Longer An Oxymoron

Phoronix: Radeon RX Vega On Linux: High-Performance GPUs & Open-Source No Longer An Oxymoron

The Radeon RX Vega is shipping today and for Linux gamers this is a serious AMD offering for being able to handle modern Linux games. But it goes beyond that in the RX Vega launch easily being the most successful launch ever for a GPU backed by open-source drivers on launch day. I've been spending the past several days testing the Radeon RX Vega 56 and RX Vega 64. The RX Vega 56 is a very competent graphics card for $399 USD while those wanting to reach peak performance for Linux gaming on a open-source system can find the RX Vega 64 for $499 USD. The open-source support for Vega isn't without some initial setup hurdles and some growing pains along the way, but it's looking very good for launch-day and the best DRM+Mesa support we have ever seen at-launch for the premiere of a new discrete GPU architecture.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Superb! Now I only need 400€ to spare..

But yeah! Go AMD!

Comment

I guess that pretty much settles it then... I'm getting an AIB Vega 56 with better cooling as soon as I can find one at a non-pricegouged price.

If anything, AMD definitely deserves a round of applause for this even thou they still haven't gotten DC mainlined.
      Last edited by L_A_G; 14 August 2017, 09:20 AM.

Comment

That's amazing! Vega 64 reaches 1080 Ti performance and above in some Linux games. I guess the open source drivers will overtake the Windows DirectX drivers one day.

Comment

What about https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...veloper_input/ on the Linux driver? Are those also managed automatically on Linux?

Comment

Definitely seems the drivers have more maturing to do, considering how often Vega 56 won. But these are pretty good results so far. I'm surprised these GPUs did as well as they have.

Comment

When AMD begin to turn a performance into a Vulkan ?
              Just after releasing the open-source ?

Comment

Michael thanks for the detailed article. It would be nice to have some video acceleration info in future launch day articles.

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
                That's amazing! Vega 64 reaches 1080 Ti performance and above in some Linux games. I guess the open source drivers will overtake the Windows DirectX drivers one day.
                Only in non GPU bound scenarios, so not actually relevant.

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
                What about https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...veloper_input/ on the Linux driver? Are those also managed automatically on Linux?
                Sure and we've known this for months:
                https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me..._shader.h#n368
                Code:
                /* Valid shader configurations:
                 * API shaders       VS | TCS | TES | GS |pass| PS
                 * are compiled as:     |     |     |    |thru|
                 *                      |     |     |    |    |
                 * Only VS & PS:     VS |     |     |    |    | PS
                 * GFX6 - with GS:   ES |     |     | GS | VS | PS
                 *      - with tess: LS | HS  | VS  |    |    | PS
                 *      - with both: LS | HS  | ES  | GS | VS | PS
                 * GFX9 - with GS:   -> |     |     | GS | VS | PS
                 *      - with tess: -> | HS  | VS  |    |    | PS
                 *      - with both: -> | HS  | ->  | GS | VS | PS
                 * -> = merged with the next stage
                 */
                Last edited by juno; 14 August 2017, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Do you really wonder why you don't normally get samples when you start of your article by saying you won't be going into the details like other sites are (and telling your readers to go else where) and saying you don't understand the hype of unboxing etc?

Comment

FireBurn

Why would he do the same every reviewer and youtube kid is doing? People don't visit phoronix for that nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                    X