Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VDPAU Video Playback For The Radeon RX Vega On Linux

Phoronix: VDPAU Video Playback For The Radeon RX Vega On Linux

An oversight from yesterday's AMD Radeon RX Vega Linux review was forgetting to mention the VDPAU video playback capabilities for this Vega graphics card on the open-source driver stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

VA-API ??? Does it work with Vega??

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      VA-API ??? Does it work with Vega??
      Yes. The same multimedia APIs are supported on all AMD asics.

Comment

And soon with the GSoC OMX might also become more relevant...

Comment

Any luck in having VDPAU work on Wayland?

Comment

AMD is completely ignoring open standard VP9 for YouTube, or what are the chances to get the (quite useless) hybrid decoder from Windows to Linux?
            Very unpleasant for Raven Ridge if it doesn't come with better capabilities.

Comment

I still have issues with VDPAU on my -old- HD 6870: actually, I can't enable hardware acceleration on VLC (Git version), it crashes my GPU...
              Does NVIDIA hardware acceleration work better with proprietary driver?

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                Any luck in having VDPAU work on Wayland?
                No, vdpau is tied to X, i heard it works with xwayland though. VAAPI on the other hand does work with wayland, but currently only with intel hardware, AMD's gallium based vaapi implementation lacks the necessary egl interop.

Comment

Originally posted by Xorg View Post
                  I still have issues with VDPAU on my -old- HD 6870: actually, I can't enable hardware acceleration on VLC (Git version), it crashes my GPU...
                  Does NVIDIA hardware acceleration work better with proprietary driver?
                  FWIW i have a HD5850 and hw decode works perfectly with mpv.

Comment

Didn't Nvidia already abandoned VDPAU? VAAPI already works with AMD cards, so people should look for that instead.

Comment

Working...
                    X