Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ashes of the Singularity Gets Vulkan Port Next Week, Linux Remains M.I.A.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashes of the Singularity Gets Vulkan Port Next Week, Linux Remains M.I.A.

Phoronix: Ashes of the Singularity Gets Vulkan Port Next Week, Linux Remains M.I.A.

The high profile real-time strategy game Ashes of the Singularity are seeing their Vulkan port released next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Vulkan and wine sounds like some custom benchmarks!

Comment

cool, right now it doesn't run on wine, this version with the Vulkan renderer just might be able to. We'll see when it gets released.

Comment

I believe AoS was the first game to take advantage of DX12 ability to use GPUs from different performance and vendors on the same game. It will be interesting if Vulkan will have the same ability and if they will implement it on AoS engine.

Comment

Actually we Linux users never said that we -=necessary=- want complete Linux ports, so they answer a non existent question when they say "Linux doesn't worth it". We said that we just need a Vulkan or OGL renderer for every windowz game, that's all.

Comment

this update is already available on the betas tab on steam. It will be interesting to compare it to dx12 (hopefully both will run at the same fps)

Comment

A Stardock Developer started a thread on Steam to get the interest for a Linux port. Those wanting the port to Linux for this game should go here and post for support:

With the Vulkan work coming to an end, we are considering the port to Linux. If you are interested in a Linux version, please sign here. Update: 9/29/2019: Ok we have it ported now. So good news and bad news. We have it running Debian and we presume it'll work on others. But the bad news is that the performance is just not acceptable. This is mainly due to the game being developed prior to Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by audi.rs4 View Post
                A Stardock Developer started a thread on Steam to get the interest for a Linux port. Those wanting the port to Linux for this game should go here and post for support:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/507490...1308574348748/
                Too bad I don't want to use steam. I bought several of their titles (and barely played any) back when they were DRM free.
                (No need to tell me how benign Steam is, I know all that, not using it is a personal option, not a statement.)

Comment

"MIA" means "Missing in Action," and seems to imply that the Linux port is being worked on ("action") but has not been seen. Michael, if that's not what you intended, you should reword the title because it might mislead people.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Too bad I don't want to use steam. I bought several of their titles (and barely played any) back when they were DRM free.
                    (No need to tell me how benign Steam is, I know all that, not using it is a personal option, not a statement.)
                    I understand, and do also support GOG in getting some of their Linux games. Maybe, AoS will come to Linux and be available on GOG too like the Windows version.

Comment

Working...
                    X