Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedreno MSM Driver Updates Submitted For Linux 4.14

Phoronix: Freedreno MSM Driver Updates Submitted For Linux 4.14

Adding to the DRM changes for Linux 4.14 is a late pull request for adding the Freedreno MSM DRM driver changes for Qualcomm hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is anyone working on OpenGL features for Freedreno? It's quite behind the rest: https://mesamatrix.net

Comment

Being Adreno 5XX a mobile soc, how far can it go related OpenGL, OpenGL ES and vulkan? robclark

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Is anyone working on OpenGL features for Freedreno? It's quite behind the rest: https://mesamatrix.net
        Does its hardware support anything better than GL 3.something (and GL ES) at all?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Does its hardware support anything better than GL 3.something (and GL ES) at all?
          I suppose recent ones should support Vulkan and compute shaders (and OpenGL 4.x features).

Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) today announced that its subsidiary, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., has introduced support for the latest graphics and compute API from KhronosTM, Vulkan™, on its Qualcomm® Adreno™ 530 GPU, which is embedded in its

Comment

What about the Mali Chips? The news usually only mention adreno and raspberry chips

Comment

Originally posted by bemerk View Post
              What about the Mali Chips? The news usually only mention adreno and raspberry chips
              Mali has no open driver as of yet.

Adreno, Vc4 (raspi), and Vivante GPUs have an open driver, and that's why they are in the news more often.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                Being Adreno 5XX a mobile soc, how far can it go related OpenGL, OpenGL ES and vulkan? robclark
                both a4xx and a5xx should be able to do vulkan. a5xx doesn't add much in terms of gl features, although it seems like we can sample from gmem (tile buffer) now which makes some things more feasible (advanced blend? and the ARM pixel local storage extension, which would be *really* interesting if it were exposed in GL and games used it).

glxinfo is probably a more accurate picture than mesamatrix, since it breaks things down by generation, and is generated from glxinfo.

The only thing remaining for gl3.2 is glsl 150, ie. geometry shaders.. which is going to require some shader compiler gymnastics because of the strange way the hw works. After that there is not much left for gl3.3. After that, probably next big thing is tess shaders, but offhand I don't think that will be as bad as geometry shaders.

As far as vulkan, based on radv and anv I don't think it will be particularly difficult, and should be able to share the shader compiler. It is mostly just a matter of someone having time to work on it. Since there aren't a lot of open src games using vulkan yet, and no steam store for arm linux, it hasn't been a particularly high priority to me yet. We'll need vk eventually, but right now it seems more like a bragging point than something that is actually useful.

Comment

robclark Thanks for the answer, I didn't know the hardware was capable to go that far

Comment

Working...
                  X