GIMP 2.9.6 Released With GEGL Multi-Threading & Better HiDPI Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP 2.9.6 Released With GEGL Multi-Threading & Better HiDPI Support

Phoronix: GIMP 2.9.6 Released With GEGL Multi-Threading & Better HiDPI Support

We are one step closer to the long-awaited GIMP 2.10 update with today seeing the newest development release, GIMP 2.9.6...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Am I to understand that they've implemented HiDPI support in their GTK 2.x version when it's much easier to implement in GTK3 which is right around the corner?

I'm no expert but that sounds like double work to me. Maybe I just don't understand.

Anyways, these hurdles are so critical to GIMP going back to good health development wise.

Comment

I can't find any binary builds for Ubuntu available in any PPAs yet.
      I believe it will appear in this one first, when the maintainer triggers a new build:
      Hi, for personal reasons my PPA activities are dropped for the time being. Sorry Thorsten Attention! This is a PPA only for development purposes!!! At the moment there are no Xenial updates due to inextricably Glib dependencies. I will find a solution. There'll be no new packages for obsolete Ubuntu versions anymore and will not accept new uploads: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases Sorry but that's the way live goes. These packages were built of the development branch of the GIMP. They m...

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
        GTK3 is very stable now so this might fit GIMP very well. If they stay clear of deprecated APIs they can move to GTK4 later.
        That would be very nice indeed.

Comment

By the time 2.10 is out they'll have GTK+5 mature.

Comment

First up, GIMP 2.9.6 is now finally multi-threaded for modern processors!
            It would be nice to see some benchmarks now.

Comment

i am still using gimp, but closely looking at krita....it seems krita might easily replace gimp for an average+ user.

Comment

Jesus Christ, Gimp was bitching about moving to Gtk3 and GEGL like 7 years ago. I can't believe it's not over yet, is the dev still begging for money?

Comment

I doubt it is a matter of money. Looking at the git log, it looks like most development is done by only three or so people. That's not enough.

Comment

Gimp was bitching about moving to Gtk3 and GEGL like 7 years ago.
                    Bitching? Are you feeling quite well, sunshine?

is the dev still begging for money?
                    You aren't feeling quite well, are you?

Comment

Working...
                    X