Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Had Another Successful Year With Google Summer of Code

Phoronix: KDE Had Another Successful Year With Google Summer of Code

KDE saw more than one dozen student developers interact on various projects this summer thanks to the Google Summer of Code 2017...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There was also KIO work done with polkit I think so that apps like Dolphin could do some root actions by prompting for password without having to be run as root. Fairly decent project/improvement imo

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
      There was also KIO work done with polkit I think so that apps like Dolphin could do some root actions by prompting for password without having to be run as root. Fairly decent project/improvement imo
      Polkit Support in KIO
      https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/...42721940750336

Comment

I being sorta sarcastic, but also completely serious. Shouldn't these summer projects be involved in the removal of polkit support rather than the addition of it? Doesn't that seem like a huge step back?

EDIT: I think conditioning people to enter their root password is ethically horrible.
        Last edited by duby229; 27 August 2017, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          I being sorta sarcastic, but also completely serious. Shouldn't these summer projects be involved in the removal of polkit support rather than the addition of it? Doesn't that seem like a huge step back?
          Step back from what? Root password dialogues?

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
            much overdue!

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Step back from what? Root password dialogues?
              It's wrong. Ethically and even logically.

Comment

Current alternative is running application as root. I'll take polkit, thank you.

Comment

EDIT: I think conditioning people to enter their root password is ethically horrible.
                  It makes sure they remember it.
                  I've got SO MANY idiots on Windows and macOS that just forgot their admin password (many things you can get by with just clicking on "yes" on a prompt) and I had to reset it with my l33t h4xx0r skillz.

Comment

We are talking of doing actions that in any logical and ethical case must require administrator approval. Dolphin is a file manager. Currently to do stuff you just right-click and select "open with" and then "file manager super user mode", and then you enter your password because no duh.

Installing applications should not require root access, but that's tangential here.

Comment

Working...
                    X