Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 17.10 "Artful Aardvark" Beta Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 17.10 "Artful Aardvark" Beta Released

The first beta is available today for the Ubuntu 17.10 "Artful Aardvark" release for the flavors opting in to participate in this development milestone ahead of the official launch in October...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really like it. (The standard version for which no beta images are avialable yet - just daily builds) It seems to be more reliable in comparison with Unity and there are no significant downsides of the modified Gnome 3 standard desktop.
    Last edited by oooverclocker; 31 August 2017, 05:16 PM.

Comment

what about Kde neon?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        what about Kde neon?
        i think kde neon will stick with 16.04 until 18.04 is out? maybe i'm wrong

Comment

I am using Ubuntu 17.10 daily on my Intel Haswell desktop system.

Why is DRI2 used instead of DRI3?
          Why is EGL at version 1.4 instead of 1.5?
          Why is the OpenGL (compat) profile at version 3.0 instead of 3.3?
          Why is the OpenGL (compat) profile lower version than the OpenGL (core) profile?

Comment

Ubuntu Budgie should be called "Bubuntu", just saying...

Comment

Just installed it in a VM.
              Its very impressive.
              There is an Ubuntu feel to gnome 3.
              LLVM pipe actually works with advanced applications.
              Boot time is really fast.

Might actually install it on actual hardware when it is released.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Why is the OpenGL (compat) profile at version 3.0 instead of 3.3?
                Why is the OpenGL (compat) profile lower version than the OpenGL (core) profile?
                The compat profile has by far been one of the biggest headaches for me. I really hope they intend to do something about it in the near future.

Comment

I tried the alpha on a laptop earlier today and it locked up on me. I'm going back to Xubuntu 16.04 and it's less impressive visual aesthetics but excellent stability.

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
                  I really like it. (The standard version for which no beta images are avialable yet - just daily builds) It seems to be more reliable in comparison with Unity and there are no significant downsides of the modified Gnome 3 standard desktop.
                  I found Unity fairly stable with the 14.04 LTS release and rock solid with 16.04 LTS. But considering that it was around five years old by 16.04, that's a long time to wait.

Comment

Skipping the Awful Aardvark and sticking with Fedora.

Comment

Working...
                    X