Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Browser Marketshare Strikes Above 3%

Phoronix: Linux Browser Marketshare Strikes Above 3%

According to Net Applications' Netmarketshare, the Linux market share on the desktop as judged by browser interactions may now be above 3%...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, my Nightly's User Agent is fixed to the most popular Firefox version, which is usually latest or pre-latest version on Windows 10, while I'm on Linux.
    But most people likely don't mess with User Agent too much and hopefully data are close to reality.

Comment

Will 2018 be the year of the Linux desktop?
      Is that supposed to be a joke?! ahahaha

(still, i always thought there were a few more Linux users than the reported ones. in fact, i believe there are more linux users than macOS users... but that's just me guessing)

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
      Based on The Standard Desktop.
      Which is...?! Hope you're not talking about Gnome because i don't quite recall existing a "Standard Desktop", specially in Linux.
      If there would ever be something that we could call "Standard Desktop", that would be the Windows's desktop as it is the de facto "Standard Desktop"... but the look and feel of it is a million miles away from Gnome (thank god).

(not saying that Gnome is bad!)

but thank god as well that linux has a few choices, because i would hate to use a some desktops.
      Last edited by Mavman; 01 September 2017, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Linux is 6% in w3schools:
        W3Schools offers free online tutorials, references and exercises in all the major languages of the web. Covering popular subjects like HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, SQL, Java, and many, many more.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
          Mavman. Year of the LINUX desktop.
          are we at 2099 already?!

GhostOfFunkS let's celebrate LOL

Comment

My wife has watched me use Linux for more than ten years. She finally expressed an interest in it with her new laptop. As long as she can get to Facebook, GMail, Google Calendar, Google Drive, Google Docs, print a few documents, watch Youtube and Netflix, she'll be fine.

One small victory at a time.

I have my own sandstorm.io server instance (an alternative to OwnCloud/NextCloud that is also fully open source). I'm hoping I can get her to use Etherpad, Ethercalc, Radicale (calendar), Roundcube (email, using the server I set up on Linode), etc... but one step at a time.

Comment

if well optimized gaming sector could increase the linux operating systems spread. Since the 2008 the linux operating systems will be generically better than microsoft operating systems. Actually microsoft operating system are completely useless except for gaming and some other utilities where microsoft has the exclusive. Thanks to android developers will realize more and more games compatible with linux. Vulkan apis are making compliant games with linux too. As far as me KDe and Palsma is already much better than windows 10 but many other distros are surely better than microsoft 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
                Which is...?!
                which is not mir, obviously

Comment

Will 2018 be the year of the Linux desktop?
                  Nope, not until the major OEMs start selling linux preinstalled on their mainstream hardware and I don't see that happening any time soon since they make more than enough money with Windows/Chromebooks. They'll just keep Linux for dev & business models.
                  Last edited by chimpy; 01 September 2017, 02:11 PM.

Comment

there wont be a linux desktop year until a lot of basic things are fixed.

Comment

Working...
                    X