RADV Vulkan Driver Now Has Working Support For Radeon RX Vega GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Vulkan Driver Now Has Working Support For Radeon RX Vega GPUs

Phoronix: RADV Vulkan Driver Now Has Working Support For Radeon RX Vega GPUs

Thanks to the great work done by Dave Airlie, Bas Nieuwenhuizen, and other open-source contributors, the RADV open-source Radeon Vulkan driver has re-enabled support for the Radeon RX Vega graphics processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am amazed beyond anything else that 2 people on their own brought up and maintain a Vulkan driver while I am struggling with some REST APIs and webapps. Some linux devs are basically wizards.

Comment

On one hand it is nice to see that this new programming interface is brought so quickly to these new cards. And I understand that airlied and team are fascinated by Vulkan. But some occasional r600 love... would be great, too.
      Besides I really wonder if (and when) AMD will release their own Vulkan and how far this will be useful now. Probably performance could be improved on RadV, but maybe it would be okay to merge only some parts into RadV. To me it seems a bit doubled work for both sides - on the other hand, of course, people with recent HW can already use Vulkan and don't have to wait for an IP review or fall back to the blob.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Nice one! My own Vega 64 is waiting to throw all the bottlenecks away.

btw - there shall be a BIOS-override setting for Linux somewhere. Does anyone have a tutorial on how to do that? I've undervolted/overclocked my card (in win 10) and want to apply the values under Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Shevchen View Post
          Nice one! My own Vega 64 is waiting to throw all the bottlenecks away.

btw - there shall be a BIOS-override setting for Linux somewhere. Does anyone have a tutorial on how to do that? I've undervolted/overclocked my card (in win 10) and want to apply the values under Linux.
          You could also just mod your vBIOs, pretty sure that stuff already exists for Vega.

Comment

Great news! They got it working before Vega stock arrived in my country.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

You could also just mod your vBIOs, pretty sure that stuff already exists for Vega.
              Nope. Vega has some anti-user features, one of which prevents users from flashing the video bios.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Nope. Vega has some anti-user features, one of which prevents users from flashing the video bios.
                WTF? Really? Then how are we supposed to do decent overclocking on Linux? With decent I mean being able to set core and memory frequencies along with their voltages.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

WTF? Really? Then how are we supposed to do decent overclocking on Linux? With decent I mean being able to set core and memory frequencies along with their voltages.
                  Exactly.

Comment

The firmware protection is already cracked and people have been successfully flashing Vega 64 firmware onto 56 cards, which apparently doesn't unlock any shader units, but it does raise the power limit to the same level as the 64, which should be safe to do because they both have identical, and very beefy VRM. Performance does increase noticeably and gets close to the 64 despite no unlocked shader units. Looks like the power limit is the biggest bottleneck on the Vega 56.

Comment

Working...
                    X