Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SilverStone Case Storage Series CS350

Phoronix: SilverStone Case Storage Series CS350

While we have tested dozens of SilverStone computer cases over the years at Phoronix, they have generally been phenomenal desktop cases, but not until now have we had a chance to see what innovations the company can drive into server/workstation-focused 4U enclosures. In this article is a look at the SilverStone Case Storage Series CS350.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This does look like a nice server case indeed.

Comment

Cable management

Comment

Originally posted by hetzbh View Post
        Cable management
        Can't say I've ever seen a server with that, although I've only seen the insides of old models.

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
          This does look like a nice server case indeed.
          I love Silverstone cases and - very happily - own 2 of them.
          But this certainly isn't a server case.

Server cases tend to do one thing especially well: Airflow.
          Practically each proper server case has undisturbed, directional, airflow from front to back, means the fans inside will pull air through the disks in the front through the case.
          This is the reason why you can stuff a whole lot of hardware inside rather small cases.

This Silverstone doesn't do this very well, so it certainly won't make a proper server case.
          But for those who need a small workstation with a bunch of disks and don't want a tower, it will probably be nice.

The airflow-design of proper cases is, by the way, the reason why pro GPUs use fanless cooling in airflow direction like this Tesla: https://www.techpowerup.com/img/09-0...3qtr_large.jpg

A disadvantage is, that this semi-passive cooling design requires high static pressures (with small diameter fans), which is the reason why servers tend to be louder than desktops of similar performance.

Comment

Originally posted by hetzbh View Post
            Cable management
            Rackmounted with no windows.

Comment

Originally posted by tg-- View Post
              Practically each proper server case has undisturbed, directional, airflow from front to back, means the fans inside will pull air through the disks in the front through the case.
              The 5-bay hotswap rack has a fan behind it. It's actually a SIlverstone FS305, a 5-bay hotswap box that fits in 3x5.25 bays (that costs around 100$ on its own, btw)
              http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...id=605&area=en

Hard drives would melt if packed so closely without a fan.

This Silverstone doesn't do this very well, so it certainly won't make a proper server case.
              It's more like a low-end server case. I've seen a bunch of low-end servers from HP/Dell that are basically horizontal tower PCs with decent case fans in the back. Not all servers have two lines of hot-swappable fans between the hard drives and the mobo.

Comment

If I'm buying a 4RU whitebox server case, I'm buying one of these Norco RPC 4224's:

24x SAS/SATA HDD bays, with 6x SAS backplanes for ~$400 Australian.

Comment

Working...
                X