Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear Linux & Their Love For FMV + dl_platform/dl_hwcap In The Name Of Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Linux & Their Love For FMV + dl_platform/dl_hwcap In The Name Of Performance

Phoronix: Clear Linux & Their Love For FMV + dl_platform/dl_hwcap In The Name Of Performance

For those mesmerized by the numbers whenever posting a cross-distribution comparison like the recent Core i9 7900X vs. Threadripper 1950X On Ubuntu 17.10, Antergos, Clear Linux with showing Intel's performance optimizations done on Clear Linux, Intel engineer Victor Rodriguez presented this week at the 2017 Open-Source Summit North America about some of their Linux performance boosting work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Actually the best linux distro. which kind of compositor it supports?
    Last edited by Azrael5; 15 September 2017, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Any idea what flags they use to create these binaries?

Comment

GNU/Linux.

Comment

Good work in developing a fully-open sourced system that actually optimizes for modern CPU hardware.

It's amusing how people run obsolete software on a modern system and complain about how it's not that much faster so the CPU must be to blame.
          The exact same people would never in a million years whine about how a new GPU isn't any faster when using 3 year old drivers that aren't designed for the new hardware, but when it comes to CPUs they act like optimizing for a new architecture shouldn't be allowed, even though it's generally much easier than writing a massive new driver for a GPU.

Comment

Clear Linux kind of reminds me of when Intel was manipulating binaries so it runs better on their hardware and worse on competitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Yndoendo View Post
              Clear Linux kind of reminds me of when Intel was manipulating binaries so it runs better on their hardware and worse on competitors.
              Did you look at the beanchmarks linked in the article? Even threadripper performs much better under clear linux because it acually makes use of recent additions to the x86 instruction set. Still, clear linux is no general purpose distro and made by intel, so i wouldn't even blame them if it would heavily favor their hardware...

Comment

Originally posted by Yndoendo View Post
                On Clear Linux defense this was pulled with ICC(intel own compiler) but Clear Linux uses GCC, so in this sense is all good.

And the way GCC handles FMV it doesn't actually to require an specific CPU architecture but just the extensions so your CFLAGS can stay generic enough to run well on most CPU

Comment

Anyone else enjoying the fact that Intel has their own C compiler, you know, icc; and yet this super optimized Linux distro they're touting is compiled with gcc?

Comment

Originally posted by zekesonxx View Post
                    Anyone else enjoying the fact that Intel has their own C compiler, you know, icc; and yet this super optimized Linux distro they're touting is compiled with gcc?
                    I don't see what the big deal is. It's like saying that AMD is stupid because they have proprietary drivers that they use on Windows systems but have different drivers for Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X