Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM's Eclipse OpenJ9 Is A Promising Open-Source JVM

Phoronix: IBM's Eclipse OpenJ9 Is A Promising Open-Source JVM

For those that missed the news over the weekend, IBM has open-sourced its in-house JVM and contributed it to the Eclipse Foundation. Eclipse OpenJ9 is this new, full-featured, enterprise-ready open-source Java Virtual Machine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Another Java project for the Eclipse Foundation to manage? Weren't they just selected by Oracle to take over future development of JavaEE?

I hope I'm not the only one who gets the distinct feeling that IBM and Oracle are just shedding parts of their business that don't generate any direct revenue by moving their development over to the open source community so that they can just keep selling their products that generate direct revenue without having to spend any money on developing any of underlying software?

Maybe I'm a paranoid, maybe I'm a massive pessimist and maybe I'm right.

Comment

I used to use J9 a decade ago, as it ran on PocketPC PDAs (an online data acquisition application), but offered a full desktop JRE. It seemed to be pretty good back then, so hopefully it still is.

Comment

I, for one, would love to see you do some Java benchmarks Michael particularly seeing as how AMD has been working with Oracle and Java to leverage HSA to speed up Java particularly Java 9.

Comment

Everybody's free to develop a JVM. It's getting TCK approval that's the problem and Idk how OpenJ9 manages that.

As far as offloading projects, that's not necessarily a bad thing, since companies fostering them have always been criticized for various aspects and moving widespread products to a more neutral body looks like a step in the right direction. But this leaves open the problem of allocating resources.

Comment

Yay, now the open source zealots can prove how awesome their contributions are compared to that of the big evil companies.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
              Yay, now the open source zealots can prove how awesome their contributions are compared to that of the big evil companies.
              Yeah, that too. Though in this particular case, open source developer are already clustered around OpenJDK. Unless this implementation bring some awesome features and/or killer performance to the table, it will not get traction.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                Another Java project for the Eclipse Foundation to manage? Weren't they just selected by Oracle to take over future development of JavaEE?

I hope I'm not the only one who gets the distinct feeling that IBM and Oracle are just shedding parts of their business that don't generate any direct revenue by moving their development over to the open source community so that they can just keep selling their products that generate direct revenue without having to spend any money on developing any of underlying software?

IBM already open sourced part of J9 as the Eclipse OMR project last year (see https://github.com/eclipse/omr) and continues to work directly there (you'll see we're averaging or 20 commits per week for most of 2017). Eclipse OpenJ9 will be no different. We're working directly in the open source project as much as possible. We're certainly not "dumping" anything or expecting open source developers to do our work for us. But you're welcome to come join us if you're interested!

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                  This is absolutely beautiful in my mind. Think about it an entire development system all managed under one roof.

I'm not sure what you are but it might help to see the positive in this.

Comment

And why didn't IBM do this 10 years ago?
                    Why did they wait for Microsoft to open source .NET Core?

Comment

Working...
                    X