No announcement yet.

GNOME Joins The Librem 5 Party, Still Needs To Raise One Million More Dollars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Joins The Librem 5 Party, Still Needs To Raise One Million More Dollars

Phoronix: GNOME Joins The Librem 5 Party, Still Needs To Raise One Million More Dollars

One week after announcing KDE cooperation on the proposed Librem 5 smartphone with plans to get Plasma Mobile on the device if successful, the GNOME Foundation has sent out their official endorsement of Purism's smartphone dream...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
    GNOME offers the most complete stack and a better level of freedom.
    Compared to?

Comment

I'm delighted to see purism working with both gnome and kde:
      Purism makes premium phones, laptops, mini PCs and servers running free software on PureOS. Purism products respect people's privacy and freedom while protecting their security.

I love gnome and that's my desktop environment of choice and would a gnome phone. By including kde in this endeavour as well as gnome the librem 5 has a better chance of success and so we are all winners

Comment

The alternatives.
        You'll have to be more specific.

Comment

GNOME offers the most complete stack and a better level of freedom.
          And it could have one bug less by now, if you would contribute instead of trying your best to put off people of Gnome with your trolling.

Comment

A $600 phone with all the Gnome and KDE bloat money can buy. By a company that takes money to deliver fully free gear, and has not delivered a fully free device yet.

Just gets better every day. Why not offer Enlightenment and XFCE and Mate desktop options while they're at it? Revive Unity?

Comment

GNOME needs other things.
              gnome-shell crashes frequently.
              gnome-shell performance is bad.
              The gnome-shell architecture seems to be bad and not scale well.

Nautilus has some insane defaults such as humongous icons.

Other than that, many things in GNOME are pretty great, and some things are on the way to be even more great. Such as the coming cloud provider API in Nautilus.

Comment

In their mockup, they are using Apple icons? WHY???

Comment

I'll buy it when it comes, but I'm not confident the hardware project can be pulled off even if campaign succeeds. Anyway, I sincerely wish them good luck and will watch the progress.

Comment

Positive news... more choice in the mobile market is a good thing. As far as the default, my guess would be that would be Plasma since at this point GNOME has nothing - and they basically admitted as much. Plasma mobile has a head start.

Comment

Working...
                    X