Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redox OS 0.3.3 Released, Lowers RAM Usage

Phoronix: Redox OS 0.3.3 Released, Lowers RAM Usage

The Rust-written Redox operating system is out with a new feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How exactly does a ~40MB OS (judging on the ISO image) end up using 480MB? That sounds absurdly high.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      How exactly does a ~40MB OS (judging on the ISO image) end up using 480MB? That sounds absurdly high.
      Code:
      #include<stdio.h>
      #include<stdlib.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv){
          int mem_waste = (int*) malloc(1000000000*sizeof(int));
          free(mem_waste);

return 0;
      }
      There. You have a silly program that uses ~4GB of RAM and has a compile size of just a few KB.

I understand the nature of your question, though.

Comment

pre-allocation probably.

Comment

It does sound like a lot of bloat. WTF is all that memory used for?

Comment

Remember, Redox is a Microkernel based OS. Microkernel's biggest disadvantage (as mentioned by some experts) is exactly that: It would require many more resources to accomplish the same thing as a Monolithic kernel OS would need.

That's getting better and better everyday, however, as many things are getting their solution...

we're still not there, but it's becoming more "competitive" everyday

that's my opinion (Not an expert)

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post

Remember, Redox is a Microkernel based OS. Microkernel's biggest disadvantage (as mentioned by some experts) is exactly that: It would require many more resources to accomplish the same thing as a Monolithic kernel OS would need.

That's getting better and better everyday, however, as many things are getting their solution...

Nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post

That kind of BS. QNX is microkernel OS and it's system requirements aren't that high. Minix3 is microkernel and it's requirements aren't high either.
                Redox, NT, BeOS are all hybrid kernels and NT and BeOS requirements are pretty low.
                I don't think Redox high memory usage is just kernel problem.

Comment

It may have something to do with the file system with all the software which is kept in RAM in live mode.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post

Nonsense.

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

That kind of BS. QNX is microkernel OS and it's system requirements aren't that high. Minix3 is microkernel and it's requirements aren't high either.
                    Redox, NT, BeOS are all hybrid kernels and NT and BeOS requirements are pretty low.
                    I don't think Redox high memory usage is just kernel problem.
                    Like i said: I'm no expert!!! That's just the idea i got from some readings

by the way, blacknova , what makes you say Redox is a hybrid kernel??? I thought it was a MK...

Comment

Working...
                    X