Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XDC2017 Kicks Off With X.Org, Wayland & Graphics Talks

Phoronix: XDC2017 Kicks Off With X.Org, Wayland & Graphics Talks

The X.Org Developers Conference kicked off a short time ago at the Googleplex in Mountain View, CA. But even if you are not at the event, there is a livestream...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nothing about DRI3?
    Drivers still going to continue use DRI2 instead of DRI3?
    Drivers are still going to be unstable with DRI3?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Nothing about DRI3?
      Drivers still going to continue use DRI2 instead of DRI3?
      Drivers are still going to be unstable with DRI3?
      Whats there to talk about? Recent versions of the -intel, -ati, -amdgpu and -modesettig ddx drivers all enable DRI3 be default with xserver >= 1.18.3.
      I've been running amd and intel hardware with DRI3 without issues for a while now.

Comment

This is likely off topic, but how is your health doing these days Michael?
        Stress levels a tad lower at least?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          "Due to the ever-tightening ad margins and ad-block users, this year I am again not at XDC or any other conferences for that matter"

Mafia has the same moral, pay to get rid of annoying things. You do not like to see ads when surfing in the net, why on earth we others should like.
          Of course, nobody really likes ads (unless they're funny, maybe). Nobody likes the tracking many advertisers do.
          So Michael can't run the website from love and air alone, so either ads or premium subscription.
          But do you have a better solution? Feel free to post.

on topic:
          Looks like 9 h local time difference from here to San Francisco area. Uh-oh. I'll see if I can catch a talk "today" around midnight. :/
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

@debianxfce. If you want quality content on the Internet you need to start to think about how to support the people who do deliver the things you like. If you don't like ads (who does?), then consider to donate or even better subscribe to Phoronix premium subscription. It's quite cheap for what you get. This model just works if people like Michael can afford to do the things they do.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              "Due to the ever-tightening ad margins and ad-block users, this year I am again not at XDC or any other conferences for that matter"

Mafia has the same moral, pay to get rid of annoying things. You do not like to see ads when surfing in the net, why on earth we others should like.
              Damn, I don't like to pay for stuff I use, why on earth should I not just steal instead when it is so easy?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: XDC2017 Kicks Off With X.Org, Wayland & Graphics Talks
                Due to the ever-tightening ad margins and ad-block users
                Sure i disabled AdBlock on Phoronix. But NoScript prevents Ads as well. I don't see any adds here when using NoScript.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post

Of course, nobody really likes ads (unless they're funny, maybe). Nobody likes the tracking many advertisers do.
                  So Michael can't run the website from love and air alone, so either ads or premium subscription.
                  But do you have a better solution? Feel free to post.

on topic:
                  Looks like 9 h local time difference from here to San Francisco area. Uh-oh. I'll see if I can catch a talk "today" around midnight. :/
                  Michael has a wife who is a software developer as he's stated many times before, and to my knowledge he doesn't have kids (he's never mentioned them anyway), so his site wouldn't exactly be in jeopardy even if his income was $0. Besides it's not as if debianxfce and other adblocking users aren't paying anything, he's paying in the form of forum posts that increase thread length, which increases the number of pages which increases the number of ad hits by people not using adblock.

Also being that this was a free conference inside the US this year I find it somewhat hard to believe he couldn't afford to go to XDC this year, instead of simply not wanting to go. We're talking ~$300 for a round trip flight according to Google and then it's whatever he wants to make of expenses of staying there. Sure not cheap, but with ~$90k/year (median salary of a software developer) + whatever/year Michael makes running this site... I'm sure he had no problems affording it if he had wanted to go.

Comment

Originally posted by heredoc View Post

Sure i disabled AdBlock on Phoronix. But NoScript prevents Ads as well. I don't see any adds here when using NoScript.
                    This is more telling than it looks. I recognize that web sites need to advertise for funding, but at the same time there are certain security precautions to take. If security precautions happen to block ads, that might be a bit of information about the nature of those ads, themselves. Don't forget that a lot of ads try really hard to track you, and tracking itself is a bit of a security issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X