Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pfSense 2.4 Released, Rebased To FreeBSD 11.1 & New Installer

Phoronix: pfSense 2.4 Released, Rebased To FreeBSD 11.1 & New Installer

There's a new version available of pfSense, the popular BSD-based operating system common to network appliances / firewalls / routers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems rather disingenuous to eliminate the 32-bit x86 and NanoBSD builds (which cover the PC Engines alix), but start supporting Netgate's own TI AM 3352 based system that is 32-bit. I'm either moving off of pfSense to OPNsense or just buying a Ubiquiti Sercurity Gateway...

Comment

Originally posted by ChamPro View Post
      Seems rather disingenuous to eliminate the 32-bit x86 and NanoBSD builds (which cover the PC Engines alix), but start supporting Netgate's own TI AM 3352 based system that is 32-bit. I'm either moving off of pfSense to OPNsense or just buying a Ubiquiti Sercurity Gateway...
      Well, that's 32-bit on ARM though, and more importantly it is probably sponsored by netgate, as they offer a subscription to yearly subscription to pfsense gold.

That thing is damn sexy though. Too bad it does not have ECC ram.

Comment

cool! time to upgrade my apu2 router..wish they didn't stop selling pc engines' hardware. pfSense is pretty cool.

Comment

Did they finally switch over to Python or is 2.4 still being 'powered by php'?

Comment

Ran pfsense for some time. Then "accidentally" installed opnsense and now I just can't go back.

Comment

Originally posted by ChamPro View Post
              Seems rather disingenuous to eliminate the 32-bit x86 and NanoBSD builds (which cover the PC Engines alix),
              Have an Alix 2D13 myself running pfSense 2.3.1, so I'm not thrilled about the discontinuation. That said, the Alix platform is fairly old at this point, with its 500 Mhz 32 bit single-core CPU. It was EOL as of 2015. Side by side with my APU1D2, the Alix is *really* slow. The APU1D2 just crushes it. Plus the memory is no comparison, 256 MB vs. 2 GB in the APU1D2. I can understand why they don't want to support such a platform any longer.

They did say 32 bit CPU's would continue to be supported on the 2.3 series for at least another year. So we have a full year, at least, of support still on these Alix boards.

Comment

torsionbar28How fast connection your 2D13 is able to service? Just plain net, without VPN.

Comment

Working...
                X