Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Staging 2.19 Brings More D3D11 Bits, Extra Fixes

Phoronix: Wine Staging 2.19 Brings More D3D11 Bits, Extra Fixes

Building off last week's Wine 2.19 development update is now a new version of Wine-Staging that includes its wide assortment of extra experimental/testing patches...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They should consider to drop CSMT from D3D11 and use natural threads with Direct_State_Access.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
      They should consider to drop CSMT from D3D11 and use natural threads with Direct_State_Access.
      What does that mean?

Comment

I might be missing something, but having read the description, ARB_direct_state_access looks orthogonal to CSMT. The former is to draw to objects not bound to the context, the later is to offload drawing commands to a separate thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
          I might be missing something, but having read the description, ARB_direct_state_access looks orthogonal to CSMT. The former is to draw to objects not bound to the context, the later is to offload drawing commands to a separate thread.
          D3D11 gives four natural threads that are "orthogonal" with that, no reason to run everything inside only one thread plus CSMT. If you didn't notice Wine kills all the original threads. Also DSA = access to another thread from outside, opposite of OGL that all threads are protected and not accessible from outside.
          Last edited by artivision; 22 October 2017, 05:23 AM.

Comment

D3D11 gives four natural threads that are "orthogonal" with that, no reason to run everything inside only one thread plus CSMT. If you didn't notice Wine kills all the original threads.
            What 4 threads? I googled "d3d11 4 threads", and came up with nothing. Either way, d3d and OpenGL do not map directly one to another, I imagine there's a reason for killing those threads.
            Also DSA = access to another thread from outside, opposite of OGL that all threads are protected and not accessible from outside.
            But this does not replace CSMT, only improves its implementation. What you describe is having both CSMT and DSA at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
              What 4 threads? I googled "d3d11 4 threads", and came up with nothing. Either way, d3d and OpenGL do not map directly one to another, I imagine there's a reason for killing those threads.
              But this does not replace CSMT, only improves its implementation. What you describe is having both CSMT and DSA at the same time.
              A D3D11 game usually uses at least four rendering threads natively. WineD3D is single threaded and tries to resolve anything in one rendering thread plus an extra worker thread. D3D11 doesn't use a worker thread, it is multi-threaded by default as OGL4.6 is. Also on both, the graphics binded inside a thread are accessible and not locked.

Comment

In this wine staging version farcry 3 blood dragon dx11 works and main menu runs at normal speed (in other versions main menu are slower)

Comment

While wined3d11 is making this awesome progress, I believe that a D3D11->Vulkan implementation will be much more important in the long run. Maybe once wine is more or less done with their d3d11 port, they will help progress VK9 and then potentially create VK11.

Comment

Working...
                  X