Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feral Releases F1 2017 For Linux, More Details On The Vulkan Driver Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral Releases F1 2017 For Linux, More Details On The Vulkan Driver Requirements

Phoronix: Feral Releases F1 2017 For Linux, More Details On The Vulkan Driver Requirements

Feral Interactive has just made F1 2017 publicly available via Steam on Linux and via the Feral Store for those wanting to try out this racing game that was released for Windows earlier this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe it's not to late to ask, but please test using a 660 or something. If the 6 series requirement is really only because of Vulkan support, that card should work fine, considering the title works on a 460 on Windows. If it doesn't, we have another translation layer to "congratulate".
    Considering the recommended requirement haven't changed, I think we may be in for a pleasant surprise (fingers crossed).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Maybe it's not to late to ask, but please test using a 660 or something. If the 6 series requirement is really only because of Vulkan support, that card should work fine, considering the title works on a 460 on Windows. If it doesn't, we have another translation layer to "congratulate".
      Considering the recommended requirement haven't changed, I think we may be in for a pleasant surprise (fingers crossed).
      I don't have a 660 unfortunately. I plan to go back to at least 680, maybe 650 but haven't decided yet depending upon time...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

If I'm not wrong the 650 should have the same performance as a 460. I think it's worth a try

Edit: Actually it's the Gtx 650 ti that performs like the Gtx 460
        Last edited by M46m4; 02 November 2017, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I don't have a 660 unfortunately. I plan to go back to at least 680, maybe 650 but haven't decided yet depending upon time...
          650, 660Ti anything you can think of. Iirc a 760 isn't that much faster than a 660Ti, so even that will do (sorry, I don't remember which cards you have). Tyvm.

Edit: If you run out of time, maybe save this for a future article looking at the translation layer more closely?

Comment

Expect 10 - 50% loss in performance compared to Windows depending on system configuration.

Comment

I know RADEON-PRO isn't supported by Feral but it still would be nice to see what the performance of it is vs Radv

Comment

Of course the main Steam store page is flooded with shovelware, as always, and this isn't even mentioned anywhere. Not even among new releases. Valve really has to get its shit together.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  Of course the main Steam store page is flooded with shovelware, as always, and this isn't even mentioned anywhere. Not even among new releases. Valve really has to get its shit together.
                  Because in the eyes of Valve and probably the majority of their costumers, this isn't a new release. The "real" release was 25 august.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Phoronix: Feral Releases F1 2017 For Linux, More Details On The Vulkan Driver Requirements

amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=1 radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Linux-Release
                    For anyone wondering about enabling AMDGPU on SI/CIK, there's some information available at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...CIK.29_support

You can check your kernel has support enabled by running `zgrep CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_ /proc/config.gz` and the kernel parameters can be added to /etc/default/grub in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="..." line.

I haven't had to blacklist the radeon module since kernel 4.13 but did have an issue when I upgraded without the above parameters set so hopefully others will avoid that problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X