Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R600 Gallium3D Receiving Some New Improvements By David Airlie

Phoronix: R600 Gallium3D Receiving Some New Improvements By David Airlie

In between hacking on the RADV Vulkan driver, managing DRM-Next, and his other activities at Red Hat, David Airlie has now sent landed some improvements to the aging R600 Gallium3D driver and more improvements are on the way...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish I was as productive as David Airlie in my life, in terms of getting work done

Comment

Great, someone still has some "old" video cards in scope allowing sustainable investments.
      Can only be done by someone independent of sales volumes.
      Thanks a lot, David!

Comment

Would be interesting if there's something due respective my old AMD 'HD 7970'?

Comment

Maybe what's even worse is when you want to be productive, but don't have a job in your profession so you can't "live it out".

Anyway, good to see that R600 is seeing some love, too. I understand that the recent chips are a priority and thus older chip fall behind in terms of feature completion - it's not that they're running badly. They're already good.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

r600g also applies to some of the early APUs, up to 5000-series. However, I don't expect many of those are still be used for games that require OpenGL 4.0+. My APU has been relegated to running a NAS.

Still, it's cool to see progress on this driver. Thanks, David!

Originally posted by chris61 View Post
            Would be interesting if there's something due respective my old AMD 'HD 7970'?
            That's SI (GCN 1.0) so should run well on radeonsi with the radeon or amdgpu modules. Is there something wrong with it?
            Last edited by ResponseWriter; 03 November 2017, 08:35 AM.

Comment

This is great to see. Though I don't use R600 anymore and I'm not sure I ever will again, the hardware is still good and shouldn't be neglected. But, I do understand why it's not exactly a high priority to AMD's own devs.

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
                That's SI (GCN 1.0) so should run well on radeonsi with the radeon or amdgpu modules. Is there something wrong with it?
                I'm a fan of X_Plane11 which doesn't support the Gallium driver. Trying to switch to amdgpu (Kernel 4.13) by using the kernel parameters "amdgpu.si_support=1 radeon.si_support=0" entered with GRUB before starting the OS (Leap 42.3 with mesa Mesa 17.1.8) always tells me: 'Kernel driver in use: radeon' and 'Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu'. Maybe I still have to blacklist radeon and add an Xorg configuration file. If you could give me a hint, would be great.

Comment

Ongoing support for older devices makes brand new devices more valuable, good to see.

Comment

Awesome always good to see improvements for older generations, Thanks David. Pretty sure Marek gave the r300 driver some love last year too.
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                    Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Working...
                    X