Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Rolls Out ROCm 1.7 Platform For Supercomputing 17

Phoronix: AMD Rolls Out ROCm 1.7 Platform For Supercomputing 17

AMD has unveiled the Radeon Open Compute platform (ROCm) 1.7 release as part of their wares at this week's Supercomputing 17 (SC17) conference in Denver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If Multi-Polaris is not supported, who on Earth is going to use ROCm? This driver stack supports only the two newest generation of GPUs. If they already lock one of them out of a feature they implement... I doubt it's a Vega only thing.

Comment

I do hope the ROCm will soon make it into the FOSS driver.. I was doing some stuff with Blender over the weekend and the real-time rendering performance in the views really wasn't nice without CUDA and an Nvidia card. Hopefully it will be possible to run OpenCL (or something like it?) in Blender when it is possible to use ROCm.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
        I do hope the ROCm will soon make it into the FOSS driver..
        rocm is foss

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          rocm is foss
          The support for it is not yet implemented in the radeonsi driver.

Comment

No plans to ever merge the ROC runtime into Mesa AFAIK - but the code is open source today (just not upstream) and Felix is working with Oded and others on upstreaming the KFD code.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Meteorhead View Post
              If Multi-Polaris is not supported, who on Earth is going to use ROCm? This driver stack supports only the two newest generation of GPUs. If they already lock one of them out of a feature they implement... I doubt it's a Vega only thing.
              ???

AFAIK support for multiple Polaris & Fiji cards has been there for a while - what's new if anything is same functionality with Vega.
              Test signature

Comment

According to G Stoner, what was new is multi-GPU support for TensorFlow.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12032/amd-announces-wider-epyc-availability-and-rocm-17-with-tensorflow-support

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  No plans to ever merge the ROC runtime into Mesa AFAIK - but the code is open source today (just not upstream) and Felix is working with Oded and others on upstreaming the KFD code.
                  Is ROCM compatible with GCN 1.0 cards?
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

How do I actually use ROCm? I'm running OpenSUSE Tumbleweed...

Comment

Working...
                    X