Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VC4 & VC5 Drivers Get More Fixes Ahead Of The Holidays

Phoronix: VC4 & VC5 Drivers Get More Fixes Ahead Of The Holidays

Eric Anholt at Broadcom has continued his spree of bringing up the next-gen VC5 Linux graphics driver stack while also continuing to maintain and improve upon the VC4 driver most commonly associated as being the open-source GPU driver option for the Raspberry Pi...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ahead of the holidays? We're only halfway trough November you know... It may feel like Christmas is almost around the corner when Christmas related stuff has been prominently displayed on store shelves for almost a month already, but that's just stores being annoying by putting the holiday stuff on sale in October.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
      Ahead of the holidays? We're only halfway trough November you know... It may feel like Christmas is almost around the corner when Christmas related stuff has been prominently displayed on store shelves for almost a month already, but that's just stores being annoying by putting the holiday stuff on sale in October.
      Just running short on creativity for titles this morning... coffee not yet kicked in.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Forgive me for asking a FAQ: If Raspberry PI hardware uses the VC4 driver, what hardware uses the VC5 driver?

Comment

Originally posted by cthart View Post
          Forgive me for asking a FAQ: If Raspberry PI hardware uses the VC4 driver, what hardware uses the VC5 driver?
          So far there's no retail hardware out with VC5 hardware. Looks like that will change in 2018.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm hoping for a new SoC from Broadcomm that is a good match for the next generation Raspberry Pi at some point next year. That must be why we have all this development. I'm hoping for a 28nm chip this time around.

I guess the holiday season is earlier in the US because of Thanksgiving which must be soon.

Comment

Originally posted by cthart View Post
              The next generation of Broadcom's mediacenter/smartTV/cable box SoCs.

Raspi is using the older generations of SoCs.

Comment

"DRM driver will be able to clean the user-space bugger object cache..." It leaves one wondering where will all the buggers go when the DRM driver starts cleaning them out...

Comment

Working...
                X