Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD EPYC Is Running Well On Linux 4.15

Phoronix: AMD EPYC Is Running Well On Linux 4.15

Of the many changes coming for Linux 4.15, as detailed this weekend Radeon GPU and AMD CPU customers have a lot to be thankful for with this new kernel update currently in development. Here are some initial benchmarks of the Linux 4.15 development kernel using an AMD EPYC 7601 32-core / 64-thread setup...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Some nice improvements if you ask me.

Comment

Nice.. Now it's even more better than comparable Intel's offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by arakan94 View Post
        Nice.. Now it's even more better than comparable Intel's offerings.
        I wonder if it translates to the ryzen offerings.
        One thing of interest is the 84C which is abnormally high for an AMD cpu, a ryzen will just scream and crash even at stock; so these chips truly are binned well

Comment

And how will it even go with Clear...
          Good work!
          BTW
          'DC fan info' fix (at least for Polaris) from Alex D. is in the works.
          I'll let you know after next reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post
            And how will it even go with Clear...
            Good work!
            BTW
            'DC fan info' fix (at least for Polaris) from Alex D. is in the works.
            I'll let you know after next reboot.
            (Polaris) fan info with DC _IS_ fixed!

Patch is here:

Comment

Originally posted by oleyska View Post
              One thing of interest is the 84C which is abnormally high for an AMD cpu, a ryzen will just scream and crash even at stock; so these chips truly are binned well
              This tends to be the case with server chips. I agree, 84 C max is excellent. I do remember some previous generation (xeon or opteron, cant remember) was spec'd at 90 C max.

Comment

Michael how does it performs using the numactl thing?

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                  This tends to be the case with server chips. I agree, 84 C max is excellent. I do remember some previous generation (xeon or opteron, cant remember) was spec'd at 90 C max.
                  Intel performs perfectly fine at 100C, while AMD have a substantially lower tj-max.

Comment

Would be nice to see 4.14 and 4.15 benchmarked against Ryzen and Intel, to see which improvements are generic and which ones are specific to NUMA/Zen/Epyc.

Comment

Working...
                    X