Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Architecture Of XWayland To Let X11 Apps Run On Wayland

Phoronix: The Architecture Of XWayland To Let X11 Apps Run On Wayland

Pekka Paalanen of Collabora has begun the overdue task of providing documentation on XWayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Soon hopefully I won't even need XWayland anymore.

Applications still relying on X11 include Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, GIMP, VLC media player, and Electron-based applications such as Atom, Skype, Spotify and VS Code.

Electron uses GTK2 but the master branch use GTK3 but there is still no release yet. After that, Electron might support Wayland, hopefully.
    Google recently added a "use_gtk3" build flag to Chormium - export GYP_DEFINES="$GYP_DEFINES use_gtk3=1". I think most end-users on GTK3 desktops would prefer to use modern widgets. It might be to...

Comment

Only took 10 years to write the documentation....

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        Only took 10 years to write the documentation....
        I'm glad you gave some of your free time and pitched in! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Soon hopefully I won't even need XWayland anymore.

Applications still relying on X11 include Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, GIMP, VLC media player, and Electron-based applications such as Atom, Skype, Spotify and VS Code.]
          Add Wine to the list. It's a major one.

Comment

and steam

Comment

Working...
            X