graphics switching -- DSDT table request
In the Sony Vaio Z-series launchpad team, we have been doing some investigations for the graphics switching options:
It would be very valuable if we could get hold of a DSDT dump for this Lenovo ThinkPad T400 laptop under linux, to compare it with the one Sony has.
Would it be possible to dump this and post it somewhere for us to look at it?
Originally Posted by phoronix
Linux Support T400/T500 ???
I have a Thinkpad T500 and have to mention some things about the linux support!
I'm using Ubuntu 8.10, but I also installed Debian Lenny (and WinXP).
The Linux support for these NB's isn't that good as it is described or as it should be!!!
Here are some points, that are NOT working very well:
* Hard Disk protection doesn't work out-of-the-box! u have to patch and compile your own kernel with hd-protection support enabled!
And of course: the modules needed to read out the acceleration sensor (thinkpad_ec, tp_smapi, hdaps) are also needed! so you have to compile and force to load them!
Easier Solution: Kernel 2.6.28 brings hd-protection in general and you only have to take care of the acceleration sensor. (but neither ubuntu or lenny are shipped withe 2.6.28)
* Card Reader: ONLY the SD-card reader work's. There is no support for the MS one (and there is no linux support planed)!
* wireless network(Intel 5100 AGN): the ubuntu kernel 2.6.27-11 (released end of January) was the first one that supported the wifi without kernel-crashes! The Lenny kernel don't support the the wifi (2.6.26)! and building the kernel module didn't work because the maintainers don't care about the kernel < 2.6.27!
* fingerprint-sensor doesn't work (I wouldn't use it anyway)
- ubuntu fglrx driver doesn't work (ok, but the 8.12 works fine)
- no switchable graphic support (ok I don't need it)
- the sound is really poor compared to the sound you get running WinXP (loudness and the sound quality at all)
- mute button only works partial: you only can switch the sound off but not on, and there is no visual feedback like you get it for the volume control
* display backlight isn't that bright as running WinXP (but I guess this is depending on ubuntu, but i didn't have the time to fix it yet)
Ok, would be happy about some reply. (especially from the phoronix tester, because the things I described are the same for the T400 and T500.)
P.S.: I'm not a Linux newbie! ;-) (using debian and ubuntu for more than 8 years on more than 10 computers)