I get the first OpenGL program hanging too, but for some reason my X server is not affected. It could be because something on my system is unsetting LD_LIBRARY_PATH on X startup. And I need LD_LIBRARY_PATH set so that the ati libGL.so.1 get used (due to the soname bug).
Also - I think Textured2D has a side-effect of disabling accelerated offscreen pixmaps, which I need otherwise I get the corruption around the mouse cursor bug.
I got this at my /var/xorg.0.log:
[glesx] __glESXExtensionInit: No GL ES2.0 capable screen found!
What does it mean??
PS: I loaded module glesx at "Modules" Section with the only option that works here option "TexturedXrender" "True" cause otherwise it didn't load the glesx module.
When I use option "Textured2D" "True", I cannot connect to X BUT xorg.0.log writes the following:
(II) fglrx(0): GLESX enableFlags = 14
(**) fglrx(0): Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps" "True"
(II) fglrx(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
Screen to screen bit blits
Solid filled rectangles
Solid Horizontal and Vertical Lines
Driver provided ScreenToScreenBitBlt replacement
Driver provided FillSolidRects replacement
(II) fglrx(0): GLESX is enabled
(II) fglrx(0): X context handle = 0x1
(II) fglrx(0): [DRI] installation complete
(II) fglrx(0): Direct rendering enabled
(==) fglrx(0): Silken mouse enabled
(==) fglrx(0): Using hardware cursor
I didn't put glesx in the "Modules" section, it gets automatically loaded by the fglrx driver, after other fglrx extensions (ATIFGLRXDRI and FGLRXEXTENSION) have been set up.
I wouldn't worry too much about getting these undocumented options working - we will only discover that they are undocumented for a reason.
I have to agree with you my friend...
Maybe the Textured2D option is working for certain radeon families...
How did you discover these hidden options?
I just ran strings on fglrx_drv.so - there's a list of text items that include the documented options such as VideoOverlay, but the list also includes things which aren't valid options.
Where is this file located?
alright.. I spent the last two evenings sifting through disassambler output from aticonfig, trying to figure out --pplib-cmd options. I didn't make much progress cause the stupid thing just wouldn't accept any commands, untill I came across the EnablePPLIB config option two hours ago! :P
setting EnablePPLIB seems to mess up the aticonfig --lsp ouput.
My assambler knowledge is limited so some things could be wrong and as ejs1920 said before, there maybe a reason this stuff is hidden... so don't complain if you melt your card or something..
num == some number
get pmapping AC
get pmapping DC
get pmapping DCLOW # DCLOW doesn't work here
get psbatterylevel AC|DC|DCLOW
get eventCount Thermal
get eventCount VPURecovery
get temperature num # doesn't work
get FanInfo num # if I enter a number I get zero values back
get FanSpeed num # doesn't work)
get UserState 3d|2d
get activity # doesn't work
get ODParam # doesn't work
get ODLevel num # probably requires number
get ODDefaultLevel # doesn't work
get fs PowerPlay
get fs OverDrive
get fs ReducedRefreshRate
get fs ClockGating
get fs ReducedColorDepth
get fs OverDriveTest
get fs PowerBudgetWaiver
get fs PowerExpress
set fs PowerPlay enabled|disabled
same as get fs ...
set pmapping AC|DC|DCLOW optimalBattery|highBattery|balanced|highPerformanc e|optimalPerformance
set psbatterylevel AC|DC|DCLOW num (num == some number or two. doesn't work here)
set FanSpeed num num # probably expects two numbers, doesn't work
set UserState 2d|3d num num # doesn't work
set ODLevel num,num,num # doesn't work
notify psrc dc|ac|dclow
notify batterylevel num
notify restState|forcedState|exclusiveMode begin|end
notify screenSaver|VPURecovery|Thermal|textMode|3dhigh|3d low|inactive|InitCompleted begin|end
notify AppSafeTo|AppUnsafeTo AdapterSwitch|ModeSwitch
reset fan num
enum thermal num
an example command line would be:
aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get version"
PPLIB version is 1.3 and is inactive!
which might explain why most things don't work. my card is a radeon 9550, maybe that's another reason ..
I tried both the options but I don't notice any improvements while using compiz (always slow scrolling) or while using other apps.