3) ./ati-installer.sh --arguments --buildpkg Fedora/F8
for whoever was looking for a x200 impression
i haven't tried the official ebuild for this release since it hasn't yet got into portage, but i've tried an overlay one, and i must tell that i've got the libc problem too after installing it.
i must investigate if this is due to the latest xorg server, or to the fact i'm using the latest mesa or to the fact of using xcb (it seem that xcb will be the default for multimedia framework in kde4). the libc error makes me think that the problem stands into the xcb and i'd like some confirmation that the 8.1 supports xcb binding or if it will support it in the future. 7.12 seemed to support it with the old xorg-server and mesa 7.
as for the exa stuff: if you want to enable it add:
in your xorg.conf. if you see the exa module loading then the driver supports it, otherwise not. for what i know it doesn't yet supports exa.Quote:
Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
currently i'm testing the latest xf86 with the r300 exa support that seems to play nice. i'll post some experience of it in the opensource forum soon. the first impression is: no opengl support with exa, which is not a very good stuff, but xv seems to work quite well.
Dell Inspiron 6400 with Mobility X1400, Fedora 8
Here are my experiences with 8.01:
Suspend & hibernate: fixed
xvideo: unchanged (tearing and blocky)
New problem: using OpenGL crashes vlc in about 9 out of 10 attempts of opening a file, reporting the following:
VLC media player 0.8.6d Janus
 main private error: option glx-shm does not exist
libGL error: drmGetMagic failed
libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering
X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Major opcode of failed request: 142 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
Serial number of failed request: 56
Current serial number in output stream: 56
Did anybody else get this? MPlayer does not have this problem - does this mean that it's a vlc bug?
has anyone got HD2600 Pro AGP working with gutsy?
I always get:
Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting
no matter what i try.
It would be also nice to know if its not possible to get it working.
On radeon mobility X1400, the new drivers seems to work quite well. I can even watch good video with both Xv and Opengl as my video output drivers in mplayer, vlc and xine, though xine froze my system once.
The only error I'm observing is with fgl_glxgers, the error I get is
X Error of failed request: GLXUnsupportedPrivateRequest
Major opcode of failed request: 143 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 16 (X_GLXVendorPrivate)
Serial number of failed request: 42
Current serial number in output stream: 43
I can get fgl_glxgears working with the -fbo option.
Identifier "ATI RADEON X1400"
Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
# Option "UseFastTLS" "2"
# Option "TexturedVideo" "on"
Everything went smooth this time... i only have one problem: VLC crashes using openGL output giving exactly the same error message that Christian_L has... This means it's a bug Michael? I´m running Ubuntu Feisty x86 with a radeon x1300 card
This is the balance I made for this version of the driver:
1. XV works, although still blocky when resized (both in VLC ou MPlayer);
2. OpenGL video playback works in MPlayer and crashes VLC;
3. Power management works;
4. Haven't tested suspend and resume yet, but it worked in previous releases, I guess I'm trusting ATI on this one... Not too important for me... :P
5. When restarting X, the laptop always locks up with the background image on, as already reported...
6. glxgears and fgl_glxgears both work with some minor improvement on the speed;
7. Some games lockup the laptop when entering fullscreen (TORCS and Lincity-NG);
8. I see a lot of messages like this "kernel: [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x0000000f not found in mutex list" in dmesg... Is this bad? Apparently this is related to opening amdcccle for example...
9. AIGLX still slow, although acceptable. Also, when using the cube rotation efect together with wobbly windows, when a window is on the edge, if the movement is done fastly enough, parts os it are draw out of place.
I'd really like to get solutions for 5, 7, 8 and 9. 5 and 7 are really important...
I see the driver going the right way and ATI/AMD also going the right way... Opening up the specs was really a good sign for me. They deserve a big thanks for that. But the development of the new closed driver is going through a bumpy road... If only they would release their beta's maybe we could help more...
Anyway... Can anyone help me with my problems? OpenGLOverlay is off and VideoOverlay is also off. TexturedVideo is on and TexturedVideoSync is on, but off has the same result for this last option...