It does always amaze me how people are happy to download an entire *computer operating system* and throw it at their computer - with valuable data on it! - without even reading the damn documentation.
For Pete's sake people, it's an operating system, not a new version of Angry Birds. You might want to read something about it before hitting the big red button. The F18 release documentation is pretty clear on the fact that the new installer UI is a first cut and still has rough edges: this isn't hidden information, it's called out in the release announcement itself. There's a guy on the Google+ thread who says "Not knowing that The World Had Changed, I downloded the DVD of F18 and tried up upgrade my machine" - where do these people come from? And what rock have they been living under while three thousand articles explained that F18 has a new installer? Sheesh.
So yeah: in case you didn't get the memo, F18 has a new installer and a new upgrade tool. They are both v1.0s. As in the case of all v1.0s, you may want to exercise some frickin' caution. If you want a Fedora release whose installer and upgrade tools were stabilized over a period of several years and 20+ releases, Fedora 17 is right in the torrent list. It works fine. If you want a nice polished version of newUI, you might want to wait for F19 or F20. It won't kill you. An operating system installer is a psychotically complex lump of code, it is not plausible that you can entirely rewrite one and get it working perfectly on the first try, and we never aimed to. We aimed to have something that broadly implemented the new design and worked reasonably well in simple cases, and that's what F18 has.
GNOME 3 is GNOME 3. We package it up and ship it. If you don't like it, use something else; Fedora does not skimp on the choices.
isnt a distribution not classicaly a product like fedora and not a special version of it? so how can a version be a bad distribution... or is that more from the word source... when we talk here in germany from a distribution we say debian is a distribution and fedora is a distribution... maybe thats like calling here mobile phones -> handys ^^ denglish...
Considering the use of Fluxbox and Blackbox, did you file a bug report? Did you think that maintainers of those packages are responsible regardless the distribution?
I have somewhat mixed feelings with Fedora 18. I use it at work since it's gone beta, and I still use it. At home however it can not simply get near to Arch Linux.
Fedora 18 pros:
- The new enterprise login feature. I can join my box to the Windows domain in matter of seconds - before I had to fiddle with samba, winbind etc and it always ended up being a 4hrs long task.
- Xfce finally have lightdm as a default desktop manager
- It's rock solid stable, I do a lot of work on it and never had a system crash or that some process is segfaulting (after killing bluez since i don't need it).
Fedora 18 cons:
- Swith to 256-colors terminal messed up some archaic utilities like uerf on digital unix when I log on to those boxes (just prints stdout instead of regular output). Switching to xterm by default fixes this.
- I, as everyone here, find the new installer useless. When I used network installer at work by the time I've configured my network settings mirrors wouldn't refresh any longer and it didn't applied the new settings at all. Absolutely horrible. I don't want to waste words on the partitioner either.
- It seems that problem with ntpd and systemd is not yet resolved, but this could be just me since I haven't found the time to dig into the problem a little deeper.
I can't comment on the packagekit or whatever fedora is using as a graphical frontend to yum, simply because I always use yum from terminal (after removing presto plugin, I have bandwith - cpu time is always in deficit).
I wouldn't call Fedora 18 the worst yet, I recall Fedora Core 3 messing disk geometry on tons of machines...
STOP REMOVING FEATURES! WRITING USELESS CODE ONLY INCREASES PROBABILITY OF BUGS WITHOUT ANY IMPROVEMENT!! GNOME 3 DEVS STOP FUCKING THE LINUX DESKTOP! YOU ARE THE REASON LINUX WILL NEVER TAKE ON DESKTOP! NOW EVEYBODY FOLLOWS YOUR DESIGN DECISIONS LIKE FUCKING SHEEP! YOU ARE TO BLAME!