Catalyst 10.2 is out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skittle View Post
    Really? How can AMD/ATI seriously release a *another* new driver without support for xserver 1.7x? Maybe the devs need a new coffee machine or something to get them in gear?!
    New features in this release:
    - no more Compiz !
    - ability to hard freeze the kernel
    - decrease that pesky performance

Coming up next in 10.3:
    - X server will not work at all (who needs it anyway right?)
    - hard freeze the kernel automatically!
    - deprecate acceleration, forward everything to CPU

Comment

It's not just doing it with the 2D acceleration enabled...literally everytime I try to run compiz it crashes, at the 2d rendering in metacity is a joke....You know I can deal with a buggy driver....but seriously, this driver isn't just inconvenient with a couple of annoyances...it has completely obliterated my X. I have just reinstalled 10.1 because on top of everything essentially being broken, it kept locking up my screen without giving me any control, not even Sysrq commands.....In a just world these "professional" developers would owe me a new hard drive and and brand new nvidia card

Comment

It's funny, because I have never seen an opensource development effort put something like this out except with the warning that its bleeding edge and for testers only...thanks for the warning ATI...

Comment

I've lost all hope in fglrx.

What's the status on the opensource driver for HD 4870? Have they got rid of all the 3D issues yet?

Comment

I have no idea, I'm on a 3 month old 5770, so their is now hope in the near future for me....I'm considering selling it off at half price at this point

Comment

New features in this release:
              - no more Compiz !
              - ability to hard freeze the kernel
              - decrease that pesky performance

Coming up next in 10.3:
              - X server will not work at all (who needs it anyway right?)
              - hard freeze the kernel automatically!
              - deprecate acceleration, forward everything to CPU

considering they still haven't included any release notes they should consider using that

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                The configuration goes into amdpcsdb, not xorg.conf. That file is found in /etc/ati. Open it for editing and add:

Code:
                Direct2DAccel=TRUE
                ... and restart X. Confirm it is on with:

Code:
                grep hook /var/log/Xorg.0.log
                ... which should come back with some feedback.
                Thanks for the answer!

After that and editing the ".default" file, it keeps the setting. But in Xorg log I cannot see anything containing 'hook'.
                It says it's loading XAA acceleration modules. Any ideas? Is there a way to force this?

Comment

btw, compiz with gnome works okayish here... may crash at first resize of a window, but after a reload window manager it works onward without more crashing.

Comment

What happens if you start for example glxgears and then close it?

Comment

Originally posted by TrentZ View Post
                      What happens if you start for example glxgears and then close it?

glxgears
                      Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
                      approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
                      XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":1.0"
                      after 50780 requests (35046 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

But it doesnt crash X (using xorg-server 1.6.3) with hd 5650m.

kwin doesnt work at all. gnome + compiz okayish with the above mentioned problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X