No announcement yet.

TV-Out Lucid - Output S-video disconnected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how can I apply the patch? I can't see it in Ubuntu package update.

Comment

Originally posted by molar View Post
      how can I apply the patch? I can't see it in Ubuntu package update.
      Ubuntu developers decided that this patch wont be included in Lucid

You can try a new kernel containing this patch for Ubuntu from kernel-ppa:

But be careful - I've tried 2.6.34-rc5 (the first one containing this patch) and it didn't boot for me, but you'll always can select old working kernel at grub/grub2 bootloader in case of problems.

Applying patches for kernel is not so trivial - you'll need some kernel compilation knowledge first to not break the system boot.

If you really need such kernel (default Ubuntu 2.6.32+33drm + this patch and some others helpfull with S-Video from 2.6.34-rc5) I can recompile it again and put it somewhere for download when I'll find some time (but not yet today - kernel compilation takes few hours at my machine).

Comment

Ubuntu developers decided that this patch wont be included in Lucid
        where can I see this decision, does it say when it will be available? what is the time line for kernel updates to lucid. I can see the time line for new versions, but not for just kernel updates.

You can try a new kernel containing this patch for Ubuntu from kernel-ppa:

But be careful - I've tried 2.6.34-rc5 (the first one containing this patch) and it didn't boot for me, but you'll always can select old working kernel at grub/grub2 bootloader in case of problems.
        can you point me to instructions on how to replace the kernel, all I can find is how to recompile a new one.

If you really need such kernel (default Ubuntu 2.6.32+33drm + this patch and some others helpful with S-Video from 2.6.34-rc5) I can recompile it again and put it somewhere for download when I'll find some time (but not yet today - kernel compilation takes few hours at my machine).
        Thank you so much for your kind offer! it really depends on the time line for the Ubuntu team to offer an updated kernel for lucid. if it's going to take a while and you can compile it, that will be great. if it going to be something that is a matter of a days/week than i think it's not worth the trouble. it will be very useful to me and I believe to many others as well.

thx again for all the help.

Comment

where can I see this decision, does it say when it will be available? what is the time line for kernel updates to lucid. I can see the time line for new versions, but not for just kernel updates.
          I've get it in private message via e-mail and I'm not sure if it will get into kernel updates.

can you point me to instructions on how to replace the kernel, all I can find is how to recompile a new one.
          Just simply install the linux-image deb package (for example: sudo dpkg -i /path/to/downloaded/package/linux-image*.deb). It wont overwrite yours current kernel but install in separate files. The new kernel will be default on boot and if the system won't boot or have other problems try ESC (in case of Grub1) or hold down Shift (in case of Grub2) key after rebooting (after BIOS but before the Linux kernel will boot) to choose Ubuntu default kernel.

Thank you so much for your kind offer! it really depends on the time line for the Ubuntu team to offer an updated kernel for lucid. if it's going to take a while and you can compile it, that will be great. if it going to be something that is a matter of a days/week than i think it's not worth the trouble. it will be very useful to me and I believe to many others as well.
          I've got the same problem as yours so I'll have to compile it anyway or try the new kernel (I've got some more problems with kernel drivers on Kubuntu to get rid of, too). The kernel I've compiled before need some more patches as I had S-video enabled on boot time (800x600 resolution on KDM and KDE) on it.

Comment

xeros, thank for the help and patience.

anyway, I want through and installed the 34.rc7 kernel and the s-video worked fine. System booted normally. there were some quirks with the compiz effects, and the video was darker than what I used too.

anyway for the time being, I've decided to go back to 9.10, until everything will be sorted out in 10.04. Don't see so much difference anyway.

I'm trying to get the video overlay to show in full screen only on the TV, and not on the desktop. it's called "theater mode" in the proprietary ATI driver. do you know by any chance if this can be done?

Comment

xeros, thank for the help and patience.

anyway, I want through and installed the 34.rc7 kernel and the s-video worked fine. System booted normally. there were some quirks with the compiz effects, and the video was darker than what I used too.
              Nice to see it worked. I'll take a look at it, too.

anyway for the time being, I've decided to go back to 9.10, until everything will be sorted out in 10.04. Don't see so much difference anyway.
              Maybe wait a moment. I've uploaded patched packages to my PPA.
              Amd64 version is already done and i386 will be ready in maybe a 30 minutes.

I'm trying to get the video overlay to show in full screen only on the TV, and not on the desktop. it's called "theater mode" in the proprietary ATI driver. do you know by any chance if this can be done?
              It should be possible, but I'm not 100% sure. I haven't done good testing of S-video output recently, but open source radeon driver is better configurable than proprietary fglrx.

Comment

noob question: isn't installing the patched driver will interfere with future updates? support and so on?

how can I get to your ppa?

Comment

noob question: isn't installing the patched driver will interfere with future updates? support and so on?

how can I get to your ppa?
                  I've changed the version number so it's not going to be replaced or break by simple update/upgrade but you won't have further security fixes/updates of this version.

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xeros/xeros-test
                  $ sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.32-22xeros-generic linux-headers-2.6.32-22xeros-generic

and reboot.

i386 packages are now built, too.
                  I'm testing it right now...

Comment

Xeros, thank you again for the effort. I'll give a try also later on. I trying still to figure out the S-video options, as this a major issue for me. I want to output only video to the TV, and leave the desktop as usual . all the options I've tried to far with xvattr are not working.

Comment

Xeros, thank you again for the effort. I'll give a try also later on. I trying still to figure out the S-video options, as this a major issue for me. I want to output only video to the TV, and leave the desktop as usual . all the options I've tried to far with xvattr are not working.
                      I've just did some testing and recompiled kernel works without problems other than S-video is still enabled (load detection set to 1) even at system boot (I've applied a second patch from 2.6.34-rc5 which I supposed should leave it disabled at system boot). I've done some settings of Xorg and KDE and it's not a problem for me now and maybe a feature to get used to (new features of KDE to work on two screens).

And regarding yours problem with video on TV maybe take a look at zaphod mode (it should be working now: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20384). Maybe it could help you.

I've just tested simmilar thing (as workaround for yours problem) with KDE with two displays (S-video below of LCD) and without any options to configure I've just moved video player window to second screen and pressed fullscreen button - it worked that way without any xvattr changes and I could use keyboard and mouse with other applications on LCD. I'm not sure how it would work in Gnome.

Comment

Working...
                      X