Why Wayland & Weston Were Forked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soreau View Post
    This is exactly what I am talking about in the very first post in this thread.
    Well please, share your side of the story. What did you intend with that post? Your behaviour seems inexcusable and you aren't exactly helping your case here.

Comment

Voice

Once again, I'd like to thank Michael Larabel for voicing me in this critical time.

The dolhpin-emu devs would also like to thank you for the free advertisement you give to free projects. I'd like to think that other F(L)OSS projects do not mind the open promotion, either. It is very useful for the general cause of people and the way in which they communicate.

Thanks Mike, your continued support is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Once again, I'd like to thank Michael Larabel for voicing me in this critical time.

The dolhpin-emu devs would also like to thank you for the free advertisement you give to free projects. I'd like to think that other F(L)OSS projects do not mind the open promotion, either. It is very useful for the general cause of people and the way in which they communicate.

Thanks Mike, your continued support is greatly appreciated.
        hahahahah,

dude ML isn't supporting you, ML is milking you. You are generating page hits and money for him, and you are making yourself look even more nuts with every post.

Dave.

Comment

Why don't you guys please stop the flame wars ? This is one of the top reasons open source is condemned to fail. Internal wars don't go anywhere. There needs to be someone in command, it's that simple. At least the Ubuntu guys don't have this kind of problems with MIR.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
            Why don't you guys please stop the flame wars ? This is one of the top reasons open source is condemned to fail. Internal wars don't go anywhere. There needs to be someone in command, it's that simple. At least the Ubuntu guys don't have this kind of problems with MIR.
            How do you know? do you work on the MIR team and go to their in-private meetings?

So far a couple of devs who worked on Mir have left Canonical in the time Mir started, do you know why they left?

Its easy to say closed development projects don't have these problems, but it is in no way true. You just don't hear about them, so say that instead.

Internal wars go lots of places in lots of companies and lots of open source projects.

The thing is there is someone in command, he kicked Scott out for being an repeat offender asshole, not for forking. Scott is now proving the point that he is an asshole who can't play well with others.

Apologising for being an asshole and being one 5 minutes later, isn't really learning any sort of useful lesson. If you are determined to be an asshole ala Linus or hch on kernel, you need the ability and skills to back yourself the fuck up, and also to know when to use asshole behaviour for maximum return. Defaulting to asshole is what is different here, you can criticise Linus, Scott on the other hand couldn't accept review of his patches.

Dave.

Comment

Oh, I am sure there are disagreements and flames. Just that they are developed internally by a single vendor and you don't have access to those conversations. Organic, transparently developed open source projects have all the consensus and disagrements in public typically and that is a strengh and not a weakness of said projects.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                Oh, I am sure there are disagreements and flames. Just that they are developed internally by a single vendor and you don't have access to those conversations. Organic, transparently developed open source projects have all the consensus and disagrements in public typically and that is a strengh and not a weakness of said projects.
                Well, the difference is if you work for a company, you do what you are told to do, but here everyone wants to be the boss, and this is why there are so many wars and forks. Recently something similar happened to the ffmpeg guys.

Comment

Well, the difference is if you work for a company, you do what you are told to do, but here everyone wants to be the boss, and this is why there are so many wars and forks. Recently something similar happened to the ffmpeg guys.
                  It depends on the company. I know in Red Hat for instance, top down development is quite rare and usually competent developers manage the technical aspects just by themselves without having anyone dictate to them how the project should be run and you can see disagreements between employees in LKML and elsewhere all the time. If you want to only see a top down approach to development, open source might not be what you seek.

Comment

I have privately queried Kristian H?gsberg to explain the situation, appologize again and asked for his guidance in this. He is the *only* one with commit access to the core upstream wayland/weston repositories and one of the lead the great minds behind wayland and the driver infrastucture set in place for wayland and all of Linux. I also asked him about the status of the SDL2 wayland backend work hosted on my github and getting it included upstream for the SDL2 release as discussed here:

I am still awaiting a reply.
                    That doesn't answer my question. Here it is again:

"So, if they allowed you back, would you be able to avoid similar behavior in the future?"

Comment

So if you are in that position in a company you just up and leave, and never touch the software again. You think thats better? Like in this case it might be, but at least Scott can go off and play in his own world now and be happy there. The problem is his repeated attempts to make like him taking his ball and going home, is everyone elses problem.

Though I know many people in many companies who aren't told what to do, and there is no "boss" like you envisage, but wayland has a boss, we all know who it is, Scott's problem was more he couldn't accept peer-review, he didn't understand that anyone who isn't krh can just as easily review stuff and you have to listen to them. I'd have to dig but I remember him stating he held any non-krh reviewer as not worthy of his expending time on dealing with their reviews since only krh's review mattered to him.

Comment

Working...
                      X