Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD/ATI + Linux + WINE = FAIL... all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeeman View Post
    wine doesent work at all with fglrx, not on the HD2xxx either.

it seemed to work somewhat about ~2 years ago on 9700pro

The problems seemed to show up when the framework of the driver changed.

Then try 8.40.4 or older. My script can install 8.39.4 + 8.40.4 with kernel 2.6.24 with patches from mlau.

Quote Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
    The problems seemed to show up when the framework of the driver changed.
    yeah probably.

its just sad for those who have purchased the hardware that their product is essentially useless.

Something doesn't make sense here. I'm pretty sure I've seen a number of posts from people running Wine with recent drivers (ie long after switching to the new OpenGL driver).

If anyone *is* running Wine can you pls jump in ?

Oh noes, another conspiracy!

Im using Catalsy 8.5 on a Radeon 9800Pro running Deus Ex in WINE, works flawlessly. But ofcourse its an old game so why shouldnt it.

Conspiracies don't scare me, just broad sweeping generalizations

Thanks, hoho. I'm just trying to figure out what does and does not work today. My understanding was that there were some new DX features which did not work under Wine on fglrx, but this was the first time I heard "it doesn't work at all and hasn't worked for months".

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Conspiracies don't scare me, just broad sweeping generalizations

Thanks, hoho. I'm just trying to figure out what does and does not work today. My understanding was that there were some new DX features which did not work under Wine on fglrx, but this was the first time I heard "it doesn't work at all and hasn't worked for months".
    Well most older games work. But not with 3d acc.
    This is what i have been getting after wine 0.9.56 and up when i try to play any game with opengl or directx with wine:
    libGL error: drmMap of framebuffer failed (Cannot allocate memory)
    libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering
    fixme:advapi:SetSecurityInfo stub

So if I'm lucky the program/game runs. But as you can guess not with good framerate. I'm using 8.5 and X1900XT

Wine works flawlessy here, and always worked (working for almost 2years now)

Always with latest drivers, both 32-Bit and 64Bit, before 8.41 it was damn slow but now is on par with Vista machines with same hardware (Not on par with XP though).

Lots of games tested, all on wine appdb with silver rating or better, all of them worked like reported on appdb.

ATI X1400M

Quote Originally Posted by ZedDB View Post
    Well most older games work. But not with 3d acc.
    This is what i have been getting after wine 0.9.56 and up when i try to play any game with opengl or directx with wine:
    libGL error: drmMap of framebuffer failed (Cannot allocate memory)
    libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering
    fixme:advapi:SetSecurityInfo stub

So if I'm lucky the program/game runs. But as you can guess not with good framerate. I'm using 8.5 and X1900XT
    I don't doubt you are having problems with an inherently problematic driver. However, can you provide more information? We need to see anything in your kernel log having to do with DRM, your Xorg.0.log, and will wine work if you downgrade to 8.4? Also, try removing your entire ~/.wine directory and start with completely fresh settings.

Default Wine + ATI

Knights of the Old Republic works for me without any problems in wine. I do remember having some problems with games that were supposed to work according to winedb but I dunno if it was due to the graphics driver or some other config :P

For example Another World (Collectors Ed) just gives
    err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7e3a34c0 "x11drv_main.c: X11DRV_CritSection" wait timed out in thread 001d, blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)
    but I dunno if it's related to the graphics drivers

Edit: Just realized that KOTOR uses OpenGL for rendering I'll try some other (direct3d) games later this week
    Last edited by Erik_N; 05-26-2008 at 02:59 PM.