Thread: RadeonHD Driver Delivers AMD 780 Support

Default RadeonHD Driver Delivers AMD 780 Support

Phoronix: RadeonHD Driver Delivers AMD 780 Support

The AMD 780 Series Chipsets have been available for nearly four months now, and supporting the Radeon HD 3200 graphics since day one has been AMD's proprietary Catalyst driver. On the open-source side, there has been the Radeon HD 3200 / 780G support quite quickly through the xf86-video-ati driver due to its use of AtomBIOS, but the support within the RadeonHD driver hadn't arrived until earlier today. Thanks to 22 code commits made to the mainline xf86-video-radeonhd git tree, it's now possible to use this newest AMD integrated graphics processor with this Novell-spawned driver.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=12394

This is really great. I want this one for my XBMC HTPC, but it needs OpenGL 2.0 first

Thanks for the hard work team.

Default Problem setting hdmi audio up in Karmic

Hi there! --- odd problem here on Karmic/32bit:

As mentioned in the Ubuntu Wiki I added two additional option params to my xorg.conf:
    Code:
    Option "Audio" "true"
    Option "HDMI" "all"
    if those entries are active radeonhd starts X with a kind of flickerish behavior: screen display goes on and off every few seconds.

With those entries commented out X will run smoothly with no errors, but the lack of hdmi audio of course.

Chipset is the 780G (radeonhd 3200) - mobo is asrock A780GMH/128M

Karmic uses a pretty recent radeonhd git tree.

The Xorg log is not helping: no (WW)s or (EE)s to mention.

Any ideas what this issue is about?

Hi, I have same chipset on gigabyte mb. I don't have the problem you are talking about. I do not have compiz or any desktop special effects running so maybe that's a difference. Below is my entire xorg.conf when running radeonhd.

Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier     "Simple Layout"
    	Screen         "Screen 1"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier   "vizio"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "RadeonVid"
    	Driver "radeonhd"
    	Option "HDMI" "all"

Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
    	Option "DRI"  "on"  #xorg log says on per default
    EndSection

Section "DRI"
      Mode 0666
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier "Screen 1"
    	Device     "RadeonVid"
    	Monitor    "vizio"
    	DefaultDepth 24
    	SubSection "Display"
              Depth 24
            EndSubSection
    EndSection
    Maybe try turning off compiz, compisitor, etc and try the above and see what happens.

I did some more digging into these flickering problems - the manpage gave me a possible solution:

option hdmi "all" seems to choose DVI-D_1 - this is the device xrandr shows for hdmi, but it causes the flickering - so I chose option hdmi "DVI-I_1" and the display works fine.

Sound does not play though - no error messages in syslog, dmesg or Xorg.0.log:
    Code:
    aplay -l 

card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

aplay -D plughw:1,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
    It's just strange I don't get errors messages right away. And aplay runs fine using plughw:0,0 (the front jack out connected to me headphones.)

I guess I'll revert back to fglrx with the very same kernel and check if sound works like this... hdmi audio used to work on other kernels with fglrx