Quote Originally Posted by Silent Storm View Post
To be honest, as a programmer, I expext that if a code is better than other, it works faster (in this context). So, yes, glxgears may not be a benchmark and just tries to render three meshed gears but, if the code accelerating it better, it'll yield better frame rates...

To be more specific, I understand that glxgears just renders 3 objects and a light and uses most basic properties of openGL but this means that glxgears shows the foundation's speed. So if the code yields more frame rates it means most important part of the code, the foundation, has got better. Latest drivers may have more optimized shader compilers or more efficient power management or some nasty memory optimizations and work 3-5 FPS faster in games or whatever...

This optimizations are useless after some point since the foundation is slower and this is the point. I vote for a completely-better driver. Not a optimized here but broke there code mess.
you are weird programmer.
Cause glx_gears is not a benchmark. it doesnt have to show more fps just because your card is better.