Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: openSuse 11.0 Review

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    78

    Default openSuse 11.0 Review

    Are there plans to give this a fair review?

    In my opinion this the best linux distro released. Can you setup and turn on compiz with one dropdown? Novell has taken openSuse to the next level.

    It seem this site has a bit of bias to Ubuntu, which at some point might have be understandable. But I thinks are starting to change.
    I think the 4 liner news item doesnt justify the look this release deserves.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,175

    Default

    In my opinion this the best linux distro released. Can you setup and turn on compiz with one dropdown? Novell has taken openSuse to the next level.
    They should have waited for KDE 4.1 *cough* And which distribution does need a single click for Compiz as of today?

    Michael uses Ubuntu (dark side) and he has got too much to do to give every distribution a try, so that's nothing surprising.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    /dev/random
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Michael uses Ubuntu (dark side) and he has got too much to do to give every distribution a try, so that's nothing surprising.
    Maybe it's time for more reviewers to join the phoronix bandwagon

    I think that if they are going to review, waiting for 11.1 should be better (coming out in December), because pulseaudio, KDE4, and PackageKit have all been introduced and came with bugs, so hopefully 11.1 should fix most of them

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,175

    Default

    What's the deal with all those thousand package managers anyway? Debian had .deb with APT for years, years, did I say they had that for years? - it is still the fastest system out there, because there is simply no delay. No dependency resolving that takes ages, no long server update checking.

    Might be the reason why Michael is using the dark side based on a Debian/sid snapshot (nothing wrong with a bit of Ubuntu bashing - don't take me too serious).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    78

    Default

    My main point really is not to start a thread to deterine which distro is better. My goal would be to have Phoronix do the review for both Ubuntu and Opensuse or any other major distro for that metter and let the reader make a conclusion from the results.

    I dont understand when a major distro has a major release, all that was given was a news snippet. Even a one pager with a little bit of analysis would be better than nothing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,175

    Default

    You are Phoronix - so do a review and show it to Michael Do you remember the great Battle for Wesnoth review? It wasn't by Michael either. I am sure Michael is busy preparing Radeon HD 48x0 series reviews as we speak.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    /dev/random
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    What's the deal with all those thousand package managers anyway? Debian had .deb with APT for years, years, did I say they had that for years? - it is still the fastest system out there, because there is simply no delay. No dependency resolving that takes ages, no long server update checking.

    Might be the reason why Michael is using the dark side based on a Debian/sid snapshot (nothing wrong with a bit of Ubuntu bashing - don't take me too serious).
    deb isn't really faster than rpm, it's apt was faster than the other package managers, zypper is now about on par with apt, and for me in most cases it is faster
    (Not trying to start a flamewar )

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by some-guy View Post
    deb isn't really faster than rpm, it's apt was faster than the other package managers, zypper is now about on par with apt, and for me in most cases it is faster
    (Not trying to start a flamewar )
    Just wait until 11.1 when multi-threaded downloading gets introduced. And yes, since switching to lzma rpms, rpm installs just as fast.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    has got too much to do to give every distribution a try, so that's nothing surprising.
    Deanjo is correct, that is the straight up answer. I am strapped for resources and just don't have the time to test every major distribution when the focus of Phoronix is on hardware anyways.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Deanjo is correct, that is the straight up answer. I am strapped for resources and just don't have the time to test every major distribution when the focus of Phoronix is on hardware anyways.
    Well thats unfortunate, but dont get me wrong this is site is invaluable to the unix community and there is nothing else like it.

    Would you be open to 3rd party articles like was mentioned?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •