Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 51

Thread: 1.0-9XXX Driver Speculations

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It looks like a final 1.0-8XXX release may be squeezed in, I am still trying to confirm that.
    Is this confirmation enough, from #nvidia on Sun 12 Aug (Australia time):

    11:54 AaronP: +stillunknown_: Sorry, I was on the phone.
    11:54 AaronP: +The driver is actually ready, we're just waiting for the web guys to post it to the website.
    11:54 AaronP: +I would guess that it should happen sometime next week, but I can't make any guarantees.
    11:55 strawman: +any idea what the version is, AaronP ?
    11:57 AaronP: +8774
    11:57 strawman: +thanks

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Thanks darktama- Has AaronP said anything about the changes?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Thanks darktama- Has AaronP said anything about the changes?
    Not to my knowledge, but my guess is that it's the same as 1.0-8762 with the Xorg 7.1 ABI changes and possibly a couple of bugfixes.

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    ...release will likely occur within a week of August 23, 2006
    This still looks like it will hold true

  5. #35

    Default

    Only one day off the prediction

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    86

    Default X.org 7.2 and nVidia 9 series drivers

    is there likely to be another ABI/API break between X.org 7.1 and 7.2 as happened between 7.0 and 7.1?

    i ask because a major feature of the 9 series drivers is the GLX_rtp support, and a major feature of X.org 7.2 is improved XGL/AIGLX support.
    therfore it would make sense to ensure that they will work together......

    regards

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R3MF View Post
    is there likely to be another ABI/API break between X.org 7.1 and 7.2 as happened between 7.0 and 7.1?

    i ask because a major feature of the 9 series drivers is the GLX_rtp support, and a major feature of X.org 7.2 is improved XGL/AIGLX support.
    therfore it would make sense to ensure that they will work together......

    regards
    A driver update will likely be needed for X.Org v7.2.

    The next NVIDIA Linux driver release should also support the MCP61 -- http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...41&postcount=4

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    86

    Default when will the 9 series make an appearance then?

    given that RC versions of X.org 7.2 will be out in Oct, and the final release due in early November, would it therefore make sense for nVidia to leave the 9 series driver till the same period so that it is API comliant with the latest release of X.org?

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R3MF View Post
    given that RC versions of X.org 7.2 will be out in Oct, and the final release due in early November, would it therefore make sense for nVidia to leave the 9 series driver till the same period so that it is API comliant with the latest release of X.org?
    Not necessarily, but NVIDIA has been so unpredictable with their release schedule, you never know what will end up happening.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    86

    Default

    there is some hope that SUSE 10.2 due in early December will include X.org 7.2 so there is a good reason for nVidia to ensure a compliant 9 series driver.

    if 7.2 will break the API again, they could either:
    1) make the 9 series drivers 7.2 compliant only, (after all, they have now released a 7.1 compliant driver already).
    2) do an initial 9 series release for 7.1 and then rapidly do a recompile for 7.2 in order to quickly support post November distro releases.

    whatever they do, i hope they don't do what they did for 7.1, i.e. ignore it for as long as they could.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •