Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Two X-Servers?

Default Two X-Servers?

I'm surprised there's not already a thread about this in the forum...

When I'm using fglrx two X-Servers are started which both consume the same amount of memory, though one of them seems to be doing nothing. Killing the second one (higher Pid) does'nt cause any problems, so I wonder why it's started? I've only got one Display, so I have no use for the second X Server. Googling only brought up this.
    So is this normal behaviour (and is this going to be fixed?) or is there something wrong with my xorg.conf (http://pastebin.com/m571a94a7)?
    Last edited by Zhick; 06-13-2008 at 02:42 PM.

same behavior here!! WTF!

I didn't think we supported multiple X servers today. We do support multiple screens with a single X server -- I think one of our guys called it "Big Desktop".

Well, what ever that second X Server is started for, I don't want/need it and it should'nt be started in the first place. I dunno how common this is, but I'm obviously not the only one who's experiencing this.
    Edit: Btw, when I'm using the radeon-driver there's only one X server running.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    I didn't think we supported multiple X servers today. We do support multiple screens with a single X server -- I think one of our guys called it "Big Desktop".
    this actually seems to be the default behavior of ati's driver since back at 8.40.x series if i recall properly... i always wound up having 2 xservers running after i installed the ati driver.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Hey! bridgman! :-P please, don't make fun of us! we have this issue, it ain't funny! :-P :-D

well it's a bit funny... but i'd like it to be solved :-P i don't think it's more than trivial. ain't it?

OK, I get it. Sorry, I thought you were deliberately starting multiple X servers (some drivers like that kind of thing).

Can someone pls post an x.conf file so I know how this is happening ?

There's a a link to my xorg.conf in my first post.
    Anyway, here it,s again.

Is fglrx a driver for the X Window System? If so then why doesn't it support multiple X Servers like the X Window System does?

Quote Originally Posted by oblivious_maximus View Post
    Is fglrx a driver for the X Window System? If so then why doesn't it support multiple X Servers like the X Window System does?

The issue is that it does support multiple servers, however the problem is that just by virtue of installing and running the driver you wind up with 2 X Servers all the time, even when you didn't intend to.